Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, May 6, 2023

Orange RSC Sewing

I’ll be honest and say that orange is certainly not one of my favoured colours.  But I did my best and went hunting for a few scraps to stitch my orange blocks for the month, luckily finding a few bits and pieces.  Mmmm, think I need to take a trip to my LQS, as well as a little orange fabric to add to what I have I need sewing thread, black and grey fabric and more batting.  And, just because I could, I added a new magazine too, I hardly ever purchase these.  It was a very wet drive along a busy road and I was pleased to get back home safely.  You don't want to know how much this little lot cost me – but good quality quilting fabric is very expensive here in New Zealand, as was the quilt mag.

P1020605P1020606

I needed a few items

I’m one of those quilters who always washes my fabric first, so once that was done, dried and pressed I was ready to go.  First up was my Little Bricks blocks, six little orange ones, using up some odds and ends of fabric I had to hand.   Oh look, there is some butterfly fabric, from my 2022 butterfly blocks, still not assembled.   I love these cute little bricks, thanks to Sylvia for sharing her pattern. 

P1020609

Little Bricks in orange

Happy blocks are always fun to make and I found four little boys squares which will do for orange.  Teddys, bouncing balls, animals all dressed up, and space aliens.

P1020607

Boys Happy blocks

Four Happy blocks for a little girl too.  I found a square of the cutest little frogs in a flower garden, blackbirds, poodle, flower pots and birds.  I’m getting quite a stack of these Happy blocks now.

P1020608

Happy blocks for a little girl

No doubt we will be glued to the TV watching the Coronation tonight.  We are 12 hours ahead of London time so I’m not sure if we will stay up till the wee hours.  I can remember Queen Elizabeth coming out to New Zealand in 1953, when I was 8 years old.  All the children from my school were given flags, and we lined up along the main road waiting till she drove past, frantically waving our flags.  I’m not sure what I expected a Queen to look like, but she was there and gone in a flash.  Goodness  me, that’s a long time ago, isn't it.

14 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

As fabric prices have been going up here to and magazine prices as well I imagine you are paying $25 (american) dollars a yard easily. Magazines are getting closer and closer to $10 although I haven't bought one in awhile and do not know. I haven't turned the television on yet and I had planned to see a little of the festivities and forgot

Anonymous said...

We watched the Coronation this morning. I was up at 5 am. I can only imagine how much you paid for your new fabric. Nice additions to the stash though! I always like seeing your RSC blocks each month. I have not started mine yet. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

grammajudyb said...

Yardage and magazines have increased in price so much. Everything, I find, has! I need to purchase batting! Hope I can find a sale or a coupon!

Nancy J said...

Lovely fabrics, we visited there recently, and expensive is SO right. I was very careful and came out with some fusible batting!!!But the Kaffe Fasset ones, and linens, so much to choose from, once I have a special project in mind will visit again. For Fabrics sake in Levin have some lovely linens in stock.I see she might be selling the business , some merino fabric hopped into my hand, but not the same range as when Levana was still open.

Mari said...

Just enough orange to be happy, but no so much to be bothersome, so all together terrific blocks. Fabric is so expensive everywhere. Thank goodness I have a nice stash of it hanging out in the closet. We did not watch the coronation, but I hope you had a lovely time watching!

Susan said...

Great block sets! I love seeing what others do with this project.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Nice job on the orange blocks. I’m not fond of orange, so it’s safe to say, the chances are slim that I’d find any in my stash. I read quilt magazines on the public library app. I rarely find a pattern in them that I want to sew, and the magazines are too expensive to purchase.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Fun seeing your bricks and happy blocks, Jenny! The bricks look like the perfect way to use up smaller pieces that might have some orange plus some other colors in them. I've been checking out pictures and videos from the coronation off and on all day - quite a spectacle!

Deb A said...

Such happy blocks and those bricks look like a great way to use up scraps. I'll have to remember that one! I saw them riding to the palace and the balcony then went on with my busy day! It was quite the thing to see. I can't imagine the price of things over there. Quilting is a very expensive hobby!

Barwitzki said...

You sewed beautiful blocks... yes, that's how it is, the most beautiful fabric is always the most expensive... unless there's a bargain on the market (the market is here twice a year).
I watched the coronation on TV, I'm only 1 hour behind London...it was wonderful...
many greetings to you and a hug from Viola

Jackie said...

Lots of happy orange blocks were made at your house. I love them.

God bless.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Orange isn't my favorite color either but it always adds zing to a quilt! I've watched some bits and pieces of the coronation, mainly to see the the dresses the women are wearing! Happy stitching!

Karen S said...

Well done with your purchases and your blocks.
Yes, other countries don't realise how much we pay for our fabric. Certainly makes us careful with how we use it.

Sandra Walker said...

Orange is lacking in my stash as well but I haven’t had to buy any yet to do my RSC projects! Oh it’s expensive here in Canada too. It does add a nice pop to a quilt. My mum would not be amused (said with her English accent) that I did not watch the Coronation at all, just saw a few photos from my youngest daughter, who is big into the Royals.