Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, May 13, 2023

More Orange RSC Blocks

Very simple sewing,  I stitched another group of Horizon blocks, designed by the very talented  Lynn Dykstra, check out her blog https://kleinmeisjequilts.blogspot.com/2022/04/horizon-quilt-completed.html.  I had to go shopping for some more pieces of grey and orange, plus some black and orange yardage too.  The orange yardage will also be used in another half done project,  in the future. 

These Horizon blocks are quick to make, always a good point when making RSC blocks.

P1020610

Orange Horizon blocks

I've also been working on machine quilting one (of two)  of my RSC four patch quilts.  This project has been carried over from 2021 when I discovered a bag of four patch units I had stitched up for another project, whatever that may have been.  The quilt was assembled mid 2022, and I’m only now getting on with the machine quilting.  Lots of lines of serpentine stitch here, I find this much easier than stitch in the ditch.

P1020632

Four patch quilt

I try not to sit too long at the machine at one time, and when I've finished for the day, Gemma likes nothing more that to settle down nice and comfy on top of the quilt on the cabinet..

P1020633

Don't disturb me, I’m snoozing

13 comments:

Julierose said...

I rea;;y like your Horizon blocks--nice to have the oranges on those grays...
Gemma looks very comfy in her "spot";))) hugs, Julierose

The Cozy Quilter said...

Gemma knows all the best napping spots! I have used that stitch for quilting my quilts too. Much more interesting than in the ditch!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I use that serpent stitch also when I do a machine stitched quilt it usually works out well

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I agree with you on the serpentine stitch - so much easier than stitch in the ditch! And it gives the quilting an interesting design, too. Hooray for an almost finished quilt!

grammajudyb said...

The serpentine stitch is a great alternative to stitching in the ditch. I use it also. I don’t sit for long periods of time at the machine either. Frequent breaks and ups and downs. I call it multitasking! LOL!

Deb said...

Hmm, I like that horizon block, so useful in many ways! Sew much to sew, sew little time!
Happy stitching!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I use a similar stitch when sewing on binding - rather than hand-stitching.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Love the bits of color in the horizon blocks!

Cathy said...

Wish I had serpentine stitch on my machine! And I'm terrible at staying in the ditch so I usually have to do FMQ.

Jackie said...

Lovely machine quilting going on there. I really need to learn how to use the quilting stitches on my machine.

Gemma looks very content.

God bless.

Ivani said...

I love quilting with the serpentine stitch. Horizon blocks looks like a fun block for RSC. Gemma is a very smart cat.

Jill said...

The horizon blocks look simple yet produce an interesting effect. Serpentine stitching gives a vintage handstitched look to machine quilted quilts. Gamma thinks you are making the quilt for her! It appears we have the same machine, although you may own the Aurora 440; I have the 430. How nice to have a visit from your lovely granddaughter. That is something to charge a fee to try on wedding dresses. Haven’t heard that either. Hope you’ve recovered from late night Coronation watching. Darn, it was too early where I live to raise a toast ;-)

Helenchaffin said...

I've never heard of a serpentine stitch sounds interesting