Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, May 27, 2023

A Four Patch finish for RSC

It’s always nice to have a finish, isn't it.  This quilt started way back in 2021.  While fossicking amongst some bags tucked away in a crate in the wardrobe, I rediscovered these 4 patches.  Goodness knows what I was making them for, but I had stitched an assortment of green, red and yellow, then added some pink.

P1010473

It all started with some four patch units

I decided to make two sets of blocks with the four patch units.  The larger blocks are called Colour Chains, I believe, and I borrowed the idea of this block from Mari of the Academic Quilter’s blog.  And I made easy framed four patch blocks as well.

P1030875

Making two lots each month

The quilt tops were finally assembled late last year, and Colour Chains was pinned up and the machine quilting finally started early this month.  I used my favourite serpentine stitch in the quilting lines.

P1020617

Machine quilting

Gemma did an excellent job of looking after the quilt when I had finished for the day, making sure it didn't run away somewhere.

P1020633

Gemma is such a big help

And finally, I was up to my favourite part, stitching the binding down.  This took me a several afternoons, sitting nice and comfy while I stitched away.  I just wish I’d bought those binding clips years ago, they certainly are so much nicer to use than pins.

P1020645

Binding time

All finished now, this one will be going to Foster Hope.  Many thanks to Mari for four patch inspiration, much appreciated.

P1020676

Donation Quilt, Four Patch Colour Chains

13 comments:

Kathy S. said...

That's a super cute finish for Foster Hope. Glad to see Gemma doing her great job as well.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilting looks great how you did it - when I machine quilt I do it that way too if I am not using a straight line

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love how you put those 4 patches together, Jenny! They made a great quilt design. Hooray for a finish!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Wonderful finish! I love using the clips for binding work, too.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Great solution for what to do with "mystery" four patch blocks. Gemma is an essential to your studio. Lola, my four pawed feline, shares Gemma's proclivity for holding down my work. I just wish she wouldn't do it while I was FMQ. :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a great donation finish, Jenny! I quite enjoy the quilt binding process, too, but just the other day I was reading a blog post where the writer was lamenting that she had arrived at her least favorite part of quilting. The binding.

Astrid said...

Congrats on the finish! Great way using those four-patches. It looks great! Gemma is doing a great job too! I used to thread baste the binding before stitching it down, that was before I discovered the useful clips!

Maria said...

Well done finally finishes the four patch blocks.
Quilt will beloved by a little one.
Serpentine stitch is a fabulous way to quilt , thanks for showing me how to do it too.

Lyndsey said...

Great finish and a very pretty quilt. How did we manage before those lovely clips. I use them when dressmaking to hold seams together rather than pins.

Susie H said...

You did a great job with your "surprise" 4-patches! Thank goodness Gemma supervised to make sure you finished up beautifully! Lol!

Raewyn said...

A lovely quilt from the humble 4-patches, Jenny. That's a great way to put them together and congratulations on the finish. I like how Gemma keeps you under control :-)

Angie in SoCal said...

Great quilt from the simple four-patch. Love the way the colors came out.

loulee said...

What a lovely finish. You know if Gemma wasn't there it might have run away. LOL