Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, July 10, 2022

Just A Little Hand Work

It’s winter here in my part of paradise, with wet, cold, windy weather most days.  But believe it or not, the sun came out, the wind dropped and I managed to spend an hour outside on the patio one afternoon this week.  Gemma joined me, and she sat on the wooden seat soaking up the sunshine, while I sat at the patio table.  My task was to do some more stitching on my latest pair of secret socks for one of the granddaughters.  I knit my socks on two needles, so have to finish them with a seam up the side.  And, to take care of the dreaded “second sock syndrome” I always knit both socks at once.  My first pair of socks were knitted one at a time, never again, I decided.

P1000211

Stitching up the sock seams.

The weather gods have since remembered it is winter after all, and sent back the rain and cold temperatures, so no more sitting outside.  But it’s been nice and cozy inside on Slow Stitching Sunday today and I did some more on my apron stitchery.  I’m not quite finished yet but every hour spent quietly stitching away means I’m getting closer to the completion.  This pattern is from Stitcher’s Revolution Camping Adventures series, and I’ll be wearing this apron while away on caravan trips.

P1000223

Getting there slowly

13 comments:

Kim said...

Winter.....so iffy. =) Those socks look fabulous. I too think knitting both socks at the same time would be the wise thing to do. Sweet Camper is looking great. Such a cute little caravan.

CathieJ said...

I recently started my first sock. I am trying a crocheted pair. I like the yarn you have for your socks. I love how your apron is looking. Keep warm and dry.

FlourishingPalms said...

There must be lots of different ways to make socks. Obviously, I'm not a knitter, but a friend tried to teach me to knit a sock (never completed the first one!) and I used three needles to knit a tube. Anyway, I really appreciate the effort it takes to make socks, so kudos to you! Your embroidery is pretty too! I'm curious. Did you, yourself, trace the design onto fabric? Do you use a light box? Or a window? Or did the piece come that way? In any case, it will make the perfect apron. I'm so glad you're appreciating that nasty weather gives you indoor stitching time. Whether it's too cold and rainy, or too hot and humid, being indoors and keeping one's hands occupied, is the best!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

one day you should give a tutorial on how you do your socks, I have never seen this method done and have yet to knit even one sock!!

Maria said...

Lovely to have had some nice weather to sit out and finish the socks ...
Great progress on your stitchery apron.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Sitting in the sunshine is wonderful. I’m glad the weather cooperated with you a bit. Great job on the socks and the embroidery.

Karrin Hurd said...

Another beautiful sock yarn, and great stitching! Hope you can keep dry and warm. Right now we are going into another 102 degree day. It is 9:30 am and already hot! Hopefully it gets a little cooler later in the week! Happy knitting and stitching!

Quilter Kathy said...

I love the window of the camper - such great details on this sweet stitchery! Also love the photo of all the clips on your knitting project!

loulee said...

It surely has turned cold again, minus 5 here this morning. Stay indoors if you can and keep warm.

Anonymous said...

What a cute apron for your camping trips. The socks are just about done!
Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Karen S said...

With all that cold weather you will need those socks!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

How wonderful you was able to spend some time on the patio knitting. I know very little about knitting and found it quite interesting how you knit your warm socks. Your embroidery is wonderful. A perfect apron for camping. Have a great week. Stay warm and cozy

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Thanks for stopping by my place...Food for Thought. You asked if tying a quilt
is quicker than machine quilting. Since I've never machine quilted a quilt I
wouldn't know, but tying is simple and easy to do. Have a great day!