Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, July 16, 2022

A new RSC Start and a Finished Top

You know how it goes, you think “I’d like to try that block” and before you know it, you've selected the fabric, it’s been cut, stitched and pressed.  The block in question is Little Bricks, from the very talented and prolific Sylvia at Treadlestitches blog.

P1000224

Little Bricks in purple

But of course, it didn’t stop there, and I just had to make some more.  I thought I’d try and get a zig zag type design, should be easy, I’ll just flip every second block over.  No….. that didn't work, some blocks needed to be unpicked, and the pieces reassembled.  My original thought was to put these blocks somewhere safe, and start them up again for 2023 RSC.  But it will be more fun, I think, to continue with them for the next few months, then carry the project over next year to catch up on the missing colours.  Thanks so much Sylvia, for sharing this pattern.  I still want to do your staggered original version too, perhaps next year.

P1000225

More little bricks

I’ve assembled my second four patch quilt, so that’s all those four patches finally done and dusted.  I found just enough of the pretty floral fabric to use for the border.  Of course it needs layering and quilting, and that will be the next step.  This will be a girl’s donation quilt – there are lots of floral fabrics in this top.

P1000226

Four patch top

20 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks like you have been busy - the blocks look fine to me but understand frustration when the ripper has to come out

scraphappy said...

I do like your new block pattern. I can picture it with four blocks in a bulls-eye of each color, or with a zig zag row of each color. So versatile. Congratulations on getting the girls donation quilt assembled. The fabrics are so pretty and feminine.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I do that all the time, too, Jenny - the "just want to try this" syndrome! In fact, I also made one of Sylvia's blocks awhile back. It will be fun to see how your quilt progresses. Love your 4 patch quilt, too!

Sara said...

The 4-patch quilt is very cute and such a simple design. But it lets the colors be the star of the show. Great job! I often have block sets that cross from one year to the next for RSC. As a matter of fact, I'm working to set together a bunch that took me 2 years to make enough.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Hi, Jenny! I love what you've done with the Little Bricks block! Zigzags are some of my favorites, and now I'm even seeing other ways they could be arranged. I get how it would have to be an A block and a B block. Your variation is awesome. Well done!

Gretchen Weaver said...

What neat blocks! They will make a great RSC project, happy stitching!

Maria said...

The Little Bricks blocks will be great RSC and good idea to keep making them into 2023.
The finished four patch quilt is lovely….

Cathy said...

Your new brick blocks are so cute! I’ve had Sylvia’s brick pattern saved since Hands2Help, and now you’ve gotten me itching to try it. I like working with 2.5” strips too, and I have a box full of them. This project is calling my name for RSC23. Thanks for sharing your wonderful framed 9-patches, too. Such a lovely rainbow of color!!

Deb A said...

Those are cute blocks! Great Scrappy quilt finish as well.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You have some really nice purples there, Jenny. That's a great design and with other monthly colours, will be quite striking I think. My seam ripper is the most used tool in the sewing room sadly. :)

loulee said...

What a lovely quilt top. Your little bricks look interesting.

Ivani said...

Little bricks blocks looks great in zigzag rows. And congrats, 4 patch quilt is lovely, Jenny.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Fun layout with your little bricks!!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your brick blocks look fabulous , Jenny and is a perfect RSC project to work on . Thank you so much for sharing the link for the free pattern. This is a must do for me too. Looking forward to watching this quilt grow. Your four patch quilt is adorable . Have a wonderful weekend.

Raewyn said...

The bricks block looks like a versatile one - fun to play around with for differnt effects. The 4-patch is a lovely quilt - it will be appreciated once it is donated, I'm sure.

FlourishingPalms said...

That's a nice little "staggered steps" block. Simple, yet effective. And good for you to complete a quilt top to donate! It always warms my heart to see your sweet generosity.

Ulla said...

Nice little block! It is easy to think that just turning a block around would do, and then it doesn't. The zigzag looks fun, I can imagine new colours added to those pretty purple ones.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing up your sweet floral 4-Patch quilt top, Jenny! That will make a lovely donation. Have fun with Sylvia's Staggered Bricks, too!

Allison said...

Love the bricks blocks Jenny. So many pattern designs can be made with them.

CathieJ said...

Oh I love those brick blocks. I can think of so many ways to use them. Your 4 patch is beautiful.