Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, December 5, 2021

Too warm for wooly Socks

Its Summer now here in  New Zealand, so too warm to wear the 12 ply wooly socks I’ve just completed.  But never mind, I’ll put them away in my sock drawer, and enjoy wearing them when Winter  rolls around again next year.  Last time I showed them I was just past the heels.

P1020864

With a little more time spent knitting the feet, and grafting the toes, (doesn’t that sound like I know what I’m doing?) they were finally finished, and the side seam stitched up.  Now they look like this.  I rather like the colour, lavender blue with a few flecks of black and white here and there.

P1030148

My newest socks, all ready for winter next year

However, I was not happy with the previous pair of socks I had completed, in a darker shade of blue.  The toes were about an inch and a half too long, and I felt this really mattered in such a thick pair of socks.  So I cut the toe seams apart with scissors, and unpicked the seams about 8in or so.  This wasn’t at all easy as I obviously had done such a good job stitching the seam but I persevered slowly.  Then I unraveled the toes  plus the extra rows to shorten the foot, picked up the stitches, and reknitted the toe shaping.  Stitched up the seam, and voila, they fit perfectly now.  I'm so happy I persevered with the alterations as I wasn't happy with the socks the way they were.

P1030147

Fitting much better now

I love hand knitted wool socks, as I really suffer from cold feet in the winter.  Yes, I know they are rather plain, and are knitted on two needles with a side seam, but that’s not a big deal to me, warm and cozy is what I’m after.  After years of wanting to knit socks, now I can!

19 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your socks are lovely and will be ready to go when you need them in the fall. Happy stitching!

Kim said...

Gosh, unravelling those socks and fixing them up sounds terribly complicated. They are lovely though. Your newest pair of socks are a lovely colour...and....yes, I am quite sure you know what you are doing....it certainly looks (and sounds) as if you do. =) Isn't the summery weather you and I are having lovely?? Certainly much too hot to be wearing 12ply socks. Just think, you will have a lovely and warm pair socks in readiness when winter rolls around again.

CathieJ said...

I love your socks. I always have cold feet in winter also. They will keep you warm 6 months from now. Enjoy your warm weather.

Ivani said...

Wool socks are perfect to warm your cold feet in winter time, Jenny. Great job! Love the lavander pair. Have a wonderful week.

Julierose said...

Lovely socks there; the lavender colored ones are beautiful!!
I used to knit socks all the time; and I am now wearing my last pair as they don't impact my swollen ankle with elastic like store bought ones.
I hope to knit another couple pairs to get me through the Winter here...

I had de-stashed all my yarns and needles a few years back when my wrist gave me problems...we'll see if I can do some knitting now that it has healed--
AND THIS is exactly why I really hate to "de-stash" anything--as I always then have to buy again!!! ;000
Hugs, Julierose

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Congratulations on a beautiful new pair of socks! They look so soft and warm. And great job fixing the ones that didn't fit well. I love knitting socks, it's a practical project that gets done quickly.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I never see the side seam you talk about so you do a really good job hiding it

FlourishingPalms said...

My goodness, but your socks are very impressive! Am I seeing them correctly? Did you knit two socks at one time?! If so, that's genius! I've never seen such a thing. And your description of how you shortened them through the toes sounds like you knew exactly what you were doing! Also impressive. I've never been much of a knitter, and now, living in a warmer climate, I'm pretty sure I'll never be. Good for you to know so much about it. I'm sure it's a totally satisfying way of creating.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Great job on both pair of socks. I really like the colors in the ones you just finished. Nothing wrong with plain socks (that’s all I knit anymore) because then the yarn and colors can be the star, not the pattern.

Nancy J said...

My Gran knitted socks on 4 needles, I still have her very fine steel ones, the tips are very worn. Love those blues, and sure enough, next year winter time comes, the blue socks will keep you so cosy. But with a side seam , a lot easier to knit together.

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your gorgeous socks! Love that thread!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your socks look warm and cozy! You may not need them now, but you're all set for winter.

Jackie said...

Nothing warmer than woolen socks on a cold winters day. I get to wear mine once again.

God bless.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your socks are going to keep your feet quite toasty. They are so pretty. Have a great week, Jenny

Allison said...

Sometimes when in the car I wish I still liked to knit Jenny. Haven't knitted since we moved to Queensland way back in 1982 LOL.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Thoroughly enjoyed your last post Jenny, of your travels. Sounds like a great day while waiting on the caravan. You look so nice there with the little dog in your lap. I wonder did Gemma mind. Ned certainly would not like it. Meanwhile, always enjoy seeing your knitting and yes it does sound like you know what you are doing!

Maria said...

Those socks look so cosy …
Great you stuck to it and fixed the blue socks too.

Janice said...

You will have nice toastier tootsies next winter. There’s nothing worse than cold feet. I think your socks look lovely. Let’s face it, they are usually hiding in shoes and under trousers, so it doesn’t matter if they aren’t all fancy.

The Cozy Quilter said...

you make such warm and cozy socks! I have not attempted socks yet. This year, I am making hats for everyone for Christmas. I still have two more to make. wish me luck!