Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, December 30, 2021

Moving on to Napier

Saying goodbye to the family in Kiwitea we drove up and over the Saddle Road, where the huge windmills on Te Apiti Windfarm kept me mesmerized as the blades turned slowly round.  Hopefully Robin wasn’t watching them too, as he needed to keep his eyes firmly on the hilly road as he drove around all those corners.

P1030248 

Driving over the Saddle Road

We arrived at Eriksen Road NZMCZ Park in Napier in the early afternoon, a little hot and bothered, and ready to choose a site, set ourselves up, and have a late lunch.  No wonder we were hot, the afternoon temperature was 30 degrees C.   The park was a little empty when we arrived, but plenty more camper vans  and caravans have been arriving each day. 

P1030252

We are staying here for several days

Poor Gemma was rather hot too, and after a cool drink, slept the rest of the afternoon away. 

P1030253

It’s a hot day for pussy cats

It was a lovely balmy evening, and a joy to sit outside, watching the sky change colour, and we heard the roar of the stockcar races from nearby Meeanee Speedway.  This is the life while camping, enjoying some R&R.

P1030250

Sunset in Napier

The main purpose of coming here to Hawkes Bay, as well as for the usually hot and sunny weather, was to catch up with my sister’s family.  Sadly, Kathleen passed away four months ago, and due to Covid restrictions, we hadn’t seen anyone on this side of the family for some time.  We met up with BIL Dennis, my niece Lisa and her adult children for lunch on Wednesday at the Station Bar and Grill in Napier.  The meals were great, and there was plenty of news to catch up on, it was so nice to see them again.

P1030260P1030263

Dennis,Lisa, Adam and Kate.   Jenny, Lisa and Robin

I wanted to visit Skeinz Wool Store while we were in Napier.  I’m on their newsletter mailing list but had not had the opportunity to visit the shop before.  “I’m just going to have a quick look”, I told Robin, “I probably won’t be buying anything”.  Well I didn't buy much, just two mall balls of sock yarn, and they were at half price too!

P1030259P1030266

A visit to Skeinz and a small purchase

I don’t think Gemma really cares about my shopping, but she doesn’t mind playing with some wool if she can get away with it.  What she really did like was inspecting the paper bag which my purchase came it, that was fun, she decided.

P1030265

Where’s Gemma hiding?

Guess I don’t really need any more sock yarn, as I have these two pair on the go.  But it doesn't go astray, does it, and at half price it certainly was a bargain.

P1030268

More sock knitting on the go

You may remember that we received three interesting gift bags from the family on Christmas morning?  Full of interesting goodies, mostly food related.  My daughter Nicky made me a bottle of elderflower cordial, and a jar of dukkah, which will be coming home with us unopened.  And joy of joys, some delicious home made  Russian fudge.  After holding out for several days, I finally gave in, and we’ve started nibbling on the fudge, just a few each day, to make it last.  I sent a text to Nicky and told her I’d finally opened her jar of fudge, and the answer was “What took you so long!”

P1030258

Tastes divine


8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Russian fudge - what is in it I wonder I have not heard of it - sounds like you have been having a wonderful time - glad you got to see family

Nancy J said...

Skeinz, I order online and their specials are always So good.Birthday goodies galore, sock wool, and Russian Fudge, Is the recipe a family secret or could it be passed on? I Do have one, and lost the favourite one I had years ago, I think from Jo Seagar.Edible goodies are always the best, Grandson called in today on his way back to Wellington, took frozen Banana loaves ( I have a never fail recipe that I will happily forward if wanted ? Choc Chip cookies that I make and freeze in a sausage roll log, wrap in baking paper, then a freezer bag, and the best of all, no cook Apricot Slice.Gemma, our Boris doesn't like the heat either , hope you found a cool spot to stretch out.

Jenny said...

Russian fudge is delicious and made of lots of fattening ingredients, such as brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, golden syrup and butter!

Julierose said...

Wonderful that you got to visit with family!! Covid has isolated us all for way too long, hasn't it? Pretty sock yarn(s)...I am turning the heel on my first one...need some quiet time alone to concentrate as I haven't done this is ages...I am really enjoying knitting once again.
Gemma looks so funny in that paper bag...cats are so inquisitive aren't they? Cute.
I hope your travels are fun and that you both stay safe...
HAPPY NEW YEAR, my friend. hugs, Julierose

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Oooh, the new sock yarn will be fun to knit. I love the colors. Thanks for answering Karen’s question about Russian Fudge. I’ve never heard of it, but it sounds delicious and addictive.

Jackie said...

How lovely that you got to catch up with family.

I have never heard of Russian fudge, but it sounds decadent.

Love that sock yarn. One can never have too much yarn especially sale yarn.

God bless.

Janice said...

How nice that you could finally catch up with family. It looks like both you and Gemma were pleased with your purchase. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Janice said...

How nice that you could finally catch up with family. It looks like both you and Gemma were pleased with your purchase. Enjoy the rest of your trip.