Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, December 18, 2021

RSC - Getting there slowly

With the busy lead up to Christmas, I haven't had much spare time to work on my Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects, and I felt like I was suffering from withdrawal symptoms.  Sometimes, you just want to get on with it.  Finally today, I sat with my boat donation quilt in the afternoon, knotted off my horizontal quilting rows and buried the ends.  That took ages, but I prefer to do this rather than make knots by machine.

P1030203

Working on the bot quilt again

Next step is to machine quilt in the borders, but I don't think this will happen before Christmas.  But, I have prepared the stripey binding, so that's all ready to be applied as soon as the quilting is completed.

P1030200

Something I prepared earlier

Its been such fun making these little boats throughout the year, all done with 2 1/2 inch strips and flip and sew corners.  I experimented with the first one, and it came together quite easily, so it became one of my RSC blocks for 2021.  As time went on I also added a few applique blocks for interest, a few whales and dolphins and South Sea islands to sprinkle among the boats. 

P1030201

Colourful boats and a tropical island

Although I have several RSC projects to complete for 2021, and horrors, I'm sure there is also one or two from the previous year, I cant help thinking about what blocks I want to make for 2022.  I was lucky to be given a bag full of pretty butterfly fabrics, so I want to make a butterfly donation quilt for a girl. Although I’m sure one quilt will hardly make a dent in the bag – maybe there will be several butterfly quilts to make over the next year or so. And perhaps for a boy, a chance to use up some small pieces of plaids and tartans I have tucked away and make a scotty dog quilt.  I know many RSC ladies are also making plans for next year too.  Many thanks to Angela for hosting the link-up and giving us inspiration throughout the year, I certainly appreciate the time she puts into this, and love to see what everyone else is stitching too.

13 comments:

Kathy S. said...

LOVE the striped binding you made for the boat quilt. You look FANTASTIC! Did you lose weight? Have a great holiday!

Julierose said...

I love your little boat quilt and those palm trees just add so much--that striped binding is just perfect--what a wonderful quilt this will be!! Lovely work on this, Jenny (great picture of you, too) hugs, Julierose

Maria said...

I really loved your RCS boats and extras….
I still haven’t put my RSC blocks together yet! 🤔

Ivani said...

Your Boats quilts is so cute, Jenny. Love your picture.
I can't think about the new blocks for 2022. There are so many things to think about during this pre Christmas time.
Butterflies blocks sounds great! Looking forward to seeing what you will do with those scraps.

scraphappy said...

What a cute quilt! Planning new quilts for next year is such a fun part of the process. Butterflies sounds like a perfect way to use up that bag of scraps.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I love your boat quilt! It's coming along so nicely. And your Santa banner is so festive. Happy Holidays!

Linda said...

Your Boat quilt is coming along beautifully. Looking forward to see the start of the butterfly one.

Nancy J said...

I use the knot widget?? on my Bernina, then carry on for another 4 stitches, then cut the threads. It hasn't unravelled on any bag I have made, and doesn't seem to show. Lovely boats, and the binding all ready, a huge bonus.

Jackie said...

It looks lovely and once you get the border on it will be fantastic. Love he tropical island block.

God bless.

Mari said...

I love your boats and the binding will be perfect. I'm thinking about my RSC22 blocks too. Always fun to plan! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

grammajudyb said...

Can’t wait to see your boat quilt completed! The striped binding is perfect!

Karen S said...

I have enjoyed seeing your RSC projects grow each month. The boats are looking good.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Blue must really be your color, Jenny. You look beautiful sitting there working on that adorable boat quilt!!