Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Last minute things to do

Christmas is coming fast, and there are last minute things to tick off the list as we are packing the caravan.  I’ve wrapped the family presents, including those three pair of secret socks which took me ages to knit.  We are taking our (half) Christmas ham away with us but where was the ham bag?  A rummage through the linen cupboard, and there it was, tucked away at the back.  There's just a little Christmas baking to do, I’m making my very rich Chocolate Cherry Slice to take away with us.  This was almost a non event as glace cherries were nowhere to be found!  Luckily just a few days ago they reappeared in the supermarket, so I quickly grabbed two packets for my recipe – which actually says one packet but using two makes it so much nicer, I think.  This has a layer of chocolate on the base, cherry and coconut mixture on top, and is so delicious!  Just out of the oven and smelling so good, it will look more pretty when cut and arranged nicely on a plate, and in the meantime it will be stored in the fridge.

P1030207

Chocolate Cherry Slice

We always seem to have a lot of extra food for Christmas, don’t we.  There’s Christmas Cake and Fruit Mince pies to pack away, not forgetting those bottles of bubbly.  This year we are spending several days with my daughter and her family, and I have food to prepare for the big day, which I will get ready on Christmas Eve.  Its been a while since we had a family Christmas, so its sure to be fun, if not a little noisy!

Goodness knows what’s happening to our Summer weather, it’s  been dull and windy lately, with a few showers thrown into the mix for good measure.  2021 has been quite a year, hasn’t it.  Keep well, that nasty Covid is still lurking around.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas, and safe travels for those who will be on the road over the holiday season.   Hopefully we can all take a little time out from the hectic season to sit and relax with our hand work for an hour or two.  I’ve packed my stitcheries and knitting bag, so hope to get a little time to work on these projects.  If not, never mind, I’ll still be having a great time catching up with everyone.

P1030137

My Jim Shore snow people, many thanks to Carol of SD

7 comments:

Maria said...

Your chocolate 🍫 cherry πŸ’ slice looks delicious πŸ˜‹…
Lovely Jim Shore Snowman ⛄️ ⛄️ ⛄️ ⛄️ collection is gorgeous !
Happy Christmas πŸ€ΆπŸŽ„πŸŽ… and safe travels…

Julierose said...

That Choc Cherry Slice looks amazingly delish!! Happy for you to be able to visit family this year--my children and grands are coming all on the 26th for our family gathering...that should be fun, if rather hectic!!
I have not been able to do any baking (other than those sliced off toll house cookies which Tom bends to put in and out of our oven!!--got to have SOME thing like holiday cookies around!!) so I am missing out on my annual fudge-making-a-thon this year..
Maybe in the New Year I can remedy that!! We are stay-at-home for this year what with my sciatic woes and all...
Have a safe journey and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours, Jenny...hugs, Julierose

FlourishingPalms said...

How lovely that you will be with your daughter and family for Christmas! No doubt everyone will appreciate your delicious-looking Christmas baking. For the first time in ten years, I am preparing for company who will arrive the day after Christmas. Lots of things to take care of around the house - like sleeping arrangements for seven extra people! - but only a little baking. Our littlest grandson (age 7) has a severe peanut allergy, so something as innocuous as chocolate chips (produced in a factory that also handles peanuts) cannot be part of baked goods. I'll make a batch of sugar cookies, hubs will make his "famous" lemon pie, and that will be the extent of goodies at our house. I'm wishing you and yours a lovely and blessed Christmas!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the Jim Shore snowmen - I need to share a couple pieces I have on the blog - they are not snowmen but really cool - have fun on your trip!!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Safe travel - have a wonderful visit with your family.

Janice said...

Have a wonderful Christmas with your family. Your slice sounds delicious. Merry Christmas to you and Robin.

Judith nb Serena said...

Wishing you and Robin a very Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year, have a wonderful time with your family. Although I haven't left a comment for some time I have been following all your posts and admiring all your work. Was also pleased that your surgery went well and you made a good recovery. We are still travelling on our boat and for some reason this last six months we have had very intermittent signal, I can read stuff but when it comes to sending the signal disappears! We are at the moment at home with the family in Wales so am making the most of their signal.
Judith nb Serena