Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, August 15, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching

It was a lovely day here in my part of the world for some slow Sunday stitching.  It may well be getting to the end of winter, but the sun was out, and our patio area was protected from the cool breeze.  What nicer place to sit outside for an hour or two and enjoy some stitching time.  Gemma kept me company outside for a while, she always takes an interest in any birds she can spot, likes to sniff around before settling down in the warm sun shine.

P1020508

With several projects to choose from, I decided to spend a little time on my “All through the night” panel by Bonnie Sullivan.  These small panels have not been stitched one at a time, I decided to complete all the leaves and branches on each one, then went back and added all the red berries.  A few of them have been completed some time ago, and I finished off these two today.  Slow and steady – that’s me, but I’ll get there sooner or later!

P1020509

Two more stitcheries completed today

My other slow finish has been my pair of thick blue wooly socks, there will still be some chilly winter days left I’m sure so I’ll get some wear from them over the next month or so.  I like to have nice cozy feet.

P1020504

Thick blue winter socks

My other sock knitting is secret socks for number 2 grand-daughter, and then I decided that I would make a pair for the elder grand-daughter as well.  And when we were visiting family last week my daughter mentioned that she would like a pair too!  Goodness me, that’s three pair of 4ply socks!  We will be away for several weeks very soon on a caravan trip, so that should give me an opportunity for plenty of sock knitting in the car as we travel.

22 comments:

Kim said...

Jenny, it sounds as if you will be knitting socks for a while yet. It was freezing here today; a pair of your thick, hand knitted socks would have been ideal. Love the pair you have just finished. The colour of the wool is lovely. Such a lovely spot to sit and stitch; just look at all that sunshine filtering in. Your All Through The Night pretties are adorable.

CathieJ said...

Those socks look nice and warm and cozy. I love those two pretty blocks. That sunny porch is a nice place to sit and stitch.

Sarah said...

I like the sound of your stitching place with kitty for company. Those socks look very cosy, making three more pairs will keep you busy on your next trip away!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your little blocks are so cute! If you keep working on them, maybe you can have this project finished by Christmas. You have a lot of socks to knit!

ButterZ said...

Hand knitted socks are the best. I wear mine every day. I had a lovely friend make them for me as a gift.

Ivani said...

You picked the perfect project for stitching outside. Beautiful pannel, Jenny. And the new socks are pretty and look soft and warm. Happy new week.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I bet you are glad it will be going into spring soon for you - we are still in summer but next month gradually it will start to get a little cooler.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Those socks will certainly keep your toes cozy and warm on a cold day! Sounds like your knitting needle will get a workout making socks for everyone! The details on your stitching make those blocks sing!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your All Through the Night stitching is so adorable! Sock knitting sounds perfect for a caravan trip, too. Enjoy!

Lyndsey said...

Very nice stitcheries and the socks looks very warm and cosy. I haven't knitted socks in a long time but I know I have some yarn in one of my bags so maybe i'll knit a pair for the winter.

Julierose said...

Your panels are looking lovely--
It is cool and sunny here today, too...Nice sitting on our deck...
hugs, Julierose

Quilter Kathy said...

I love that photo of your hand stitching supplies in the sunlight!
How wonderful that your hand made socks are in demand!

Maria said...

Lovely to sit in the sun and do some slow stitching on those cute Christmas blocks…
Your socks look warm and cosy….
Lucky ladies in your family getting a new pair each when you knitted more on your trip….

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Sock knitting is perfect for car trips. Your finished socks look cozy. Stitching all the similar elements on the panels is clever. It would save time and embroidery floss. Love the red berries. Are they made with French knots or stain stitch?

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects, and lovely socks! Hope you have a great week!

Nancy J said...

Do you get your wool from Skeinz in Napier? They have a great range of 4 ply and upwards, lovely wool the last time I ordered some. I still have the sets of 5 steel needles my Nanna used to knit socks in the 1940's!!! The tips are worn a bit, as she, so I am told, knitted socks for the soldiers in WW2. I saw a lot of snow your way as we drove to P North last week.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your blocks are looking wonderful, Jenny. They look like so much fun. Beautiful socks too. They are going to keep some toes quite toasty . Have a great week. Happy quilting.

Karen S said...

You have to grab those moments in the sun when you can during Winter. Love that project.
Those socks look so warm. I understand why everyone wants some.

Birthe Marie said...

Your blocks are so pretty, and the socks looks very warm and cosy. Perfect for cold days.

Preeti said...

Oh Jenny, I am glad that you are having good weather. The gingerbread guy is adorable. Love the socks - seem so warm and cozy.

Janice said...

They are beautiful panels. I have some if her Christmas panels here too. I should get them out and work on them….once I finish my Christmas red work. Your latest socks do look nice and cosy. I know it will be a lot of work to knit four more pairs, but isn’t it lovely that they would all like a pair.

Jackie said...

I love slow stitching days, but will not be having any of those for awhile. It is starting to get close to fall, the garden is coming in and needs to be processed. I seem to be unable to do much in the way of stitching. Soon though.

Love the panels and those warm wooly socks look very inviting.

God bless.