Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, August 21, 2021

Lock Down Stitching

Here in New Zealand the whole country was placed in Lockdown from last Wednesday as the Delta variant had finally arrived on our shores, only a matter of time, we had all been warned.  Robin and I had just enjoyed a trip down to the Hutt Valley to have lunch with friends the previous day.  What we didn’t enjoy on our day out was torrential rain resulting in slips which closed the main road and stopped a train in it’s tracks!  And of course the resulting traffic congestion when all these factors came together.

P1020519

Lunch date on Tuesday, lockdown on Wednesday

I've been doing a little more Rainbow Scrap Challenge sewing, using the nominated colour of aqua, turquoise or teal for the month, and decided to work on my four patch blocks.  This is an extra RSC project which sneaked in a few months ago when I rediscovered a bag of four patches hiding away.  Although I didn't have any aqua ones in the pile, so had to set to and make some.

P1010473

I’d forgotten about these

So these are my aqua blocks.  The larger two are an idea I borrowed from Academic Quilter’s blog, thanks so much, and the smaller two are framed four patches which I had seen somewhere or other on blogland.

P1020535

Some for my collection

And here are some of the other four patch blocks I had assembled a while ago, the colours all look nice together.  These blocks will eventually be made into donation quilts.

P1020536P1020537

Some I prepared earlier

16 comments:

Julierose said...

Sorry to hear about another lockdown from the Delta variant. So far, we are told to wear masks inside and social distance...but the two of us aren't going anywhere--except grocery shopping anyway...
I like your teal RSC blocks--very pretty...stay safe hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Mike and I wear masks when out shopping and doctor appointments that is about all we are doing although lots of other people continue on doing what they want and refuse to wear masks making it harder for the rest of us to wait this out. It makes it hard to have sympathy for the non-mask wearers when they get sick as basically it is their own fault but they are passing it on to others who are vaccinated. I have one great niece who has it now and she was only going to work and wearing a mask and somehow got it anyhow. She was vaccinated so hopefully she won't get it as bad as some do but it is scary. In my huge extended family of 100+ we have had 6 that have gotten it so far - 2 before vaccines started and they weren't really bad sick from it and 2 after they got their vaccines and they caught it from 2 family members that refused to get vaccinated. All are recovering

Maria said...

Nice to have gotten in your lunch with friends before lockdown…
Lots of lovely colourful four patches ….

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm glad you got to get together with friends before the lockdown started. Hopefully you have plenty of fabric on hand to do some lockdown sewing, happy stitching!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Found 4-Patches? Both varieties look SEW good in AQUA/TEAL/TURQUOISE, Jenny! Sorry to hear about another round of Lockdown interfering with any travel plans.

Chantal said...

Love your forgotten blocks. 4-Patch and 9-Patch are so versatile and your two different blocks prove that. They both look great. Sorry to hear about another lockdown. Hope you stay safe. ;^)

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I read about NZ going into lockdown and thought of you and Robin I hope you both stay safe and healthy. The university students returned last week and Fall term begins on Monday. I have no doubt the COVID cases will increase in my community due to the addition of 10,000 individuals drawn to the university this year. I’ve started wearing a mask again whenever I’m in public. Your blocks look wonderful.

Cathy said...

Funny how those RSC projects manage to sneak in!

maggie fellow said...

lockdowns are no fun. But, sewing and 4 patches must make it better

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really like what you're doing with those 4 patches, Jenny! They're pretty in all the colors. Wishing you well as you go through another lockdown.

Debbie said...

I thought New Zealand was the best at keeping this Covid at bay. I am so sorry you are in lockdown. No fun! More time to sew, I hope.

Jenny said...

Hi Debbie, I cant reply to you directly as you come through as a non reply blogger.
Yes, you are right, we were doing really well with Covid, and our last nationwide lockdown was 15 months or so ago. Then Delta came calling, and things changed, of course. Hopefully this outbreak will be stamped out soon.

Jackie said...

Sorry you are under lockdown once again, but your government will no doubt soon have it under control.

Love the blocks. You must have quite the extensive stash of fabrics and scraps.

God bless.

FlourishingPalms said...

It was inevitable, wasn't it? Lockdown. I'm so sorry the COVID variant hit your shores. At least you snuck in some travel time - albeit rainy travel - before you were stuck at home. Yet, I admire you for delving into self-therapy by creating. Your scrap blocks are great! Keep up the good work. Stay healthy!

Janice said...

You were lucky to sneak in your lunch outing before the lockdown. Aren’t we lucky to have a past time that we can pursue while stuck at home. The blocks will make lovely quilts.

Karen S said...

We saw on the news that you had joined us in lock down.
Glad you managed to fit in the lunch first.
Glad you have plenty to keep you busy.