Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, August 12, 2021

In Bed with Elvis

Where did this happen, you are probably wondering?  My neurosurgeon had requested an MRI of my spine to check on his handywork.  So I presented myself bright and early for my appointment to Pacific Radiology in Palmerston North.  What music would you like, I was asked?  After thinking about it I decided on Elvis, after all, I fell in love with his wonderful voice when my girlfriend’s brothers used to buy his records way back then in  years gone by.

P1020500

So there I was, laying on my back, headphones on, cocooned inside the MRI machine for an hour, listening to Elvis.  I particularly like his ballads, although he had to compete with the very loud noises, rather like a jack hammer I always think.  “Love me tender, bang bang bang, love me true, click click, bang bang”  you get the picture, I’m sure.  I know a lot of people don't really like being enclosed in an MRI, in fact I remember my Mother calling it the big gobbly machine!  I have had several of these procedures, and personally don't have any problems having it done.  The time didn’t seem like 60 minutes to me so perhaps I nodded off for a while, I was certainly warm and comfy. (Not so much in previous times when I had to lay on my tummy with my arms outstretched over my head.)   And I’m just so grateful that this procedure is funded by the Health Dept., as it is very expensive, I believe.

I had a few donations to drop off in Palmy, first stop was to the Hospice Shop with a bag of assorted patchwork bits and pieces.  Unwanted fabrics, reels of cotton, patchwork blocks, a bag of selvedges, all looking for new homes.  Then it was time to drop off my donations to the Foster Hope charity-  I hadn't made a donation for some time and thigs were mounting up.  Knitted beanies, blue scarf, draw string bags, and three quilts, they are all sure to find good homes.

P1020492P1020493

Donations for Foster Hope

By this time, it was lunch time, so we made our way to the mall.  I was gasping for a coffee by this stage as I had to be “nil by mouth” for my early morning appointment.  Finding a car park in the mall was not easy, as the top parking area had been closed off.  Because it was not stable we were told!  What’s to stop it falling down on us below, I asked Robin?  Remember – we live in an earthquake prone country.  Hopefully the problem will be resolved so I won’t have to worry, or maybe we will just park outside in future.    While waiting for our lunch orders to arrive, I enjoyed my first coffee of the day.  Robin decided a chocolate milkshake was more to his liking.

P1020501

A chocolate milkshake for Robin

With a couple of of things ticked off our list, it was time to head home, and we arrived back to find a courier parcel on our doorstep, from grand-daughter Megan.  Wonder what it is?  Inside was a jar of honey, with a note saying it was made from the hives on the property where she is staying.  How kind is that!

P1020503

Honey from Megan

It had been a lovely day for a drive, calm and sunny after some previous bad weather.  And just look at the snow on the Tararua Ranges behind our home.

P1020495

12 comments:

ButterZ said...

Good that you made an outing of it.

Janice said...

You had a very productive day out. That coffee would have been very good after your MRI. I hope the results were positive. The donated items would have been gratefully received. The snow capped ranges make a beautiful backdrop.

Kate said...

Jenny, such a lovely upbeat post! How special is that gift of honey from your granddaughter!!!

Maria said...

Oh you did make me laugh Jenny describing you stay in the MIR machine with Elivis playing… 🤣
Some lovely gifts for the foster care folk…
Nice to have enjoyed a coffee/ milkshake with lunch…

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have only been in that machine once so far and it wasn't for an hour thank goodness but it wasn't bad and didn't bother me. Sounds like it would be best to not park in the parking garage!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Nice array of donations for a great cause. I don’t mind MRIs but since I have an implanted pacemaker I am unable to have one anymore. Sometimes it makes a diagnosis more difficult. ❤️ the snow-capped mountains.

Connie said...

You and your husband turn every day into an adventure . . . I absolutely love that.
After all; the best part of life is being able to share it with one another and the love and support we get from knowing that they are there beside us through thick and thin.
God bless you both.
Connie :)

Jackie said...

Never had a MRI and have heard the mixed reactions from various people. I am glad that your experience is good.

What great donations!!

God bless.


Lyndsey said...

I've only sat in the waiting room whilst my daughter had an MRI but the noise was intense. I love making an outing worth while by having lunch and dropping off donations or anything else I can think of

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I thought Robin's cup said Kool Kid but then figured it is probably Kiwi. He looks quite cosy in his sweater top. I forget that you are moving out of winter now.
You two had a busy productive day!
Meanwhile thoroughly enjoyed seeing what those Sew Wots have made and the lunch. How nice too to visit the grandchildren and get gifts from them too.
Local honey is very popular here too these days.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I have never thought of taking headphones in an MRI. Listening to music would make the experience a lot more bearable- though it does not bother me much at all either. Such sweet donation items . And brrr on the snow capped mountains- they are so beautiful. Have a great weekend, Jenny.

Karen S said...

Glad you were able to get through your MRI so easily.
And lovely to see all the donation items.
Enjoy your honey.