Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, August 24, 2020

What I’ve been up to

The last few days have been a bit of a mixed bag.  Sadly on Friday we had a family funeral to attend as  Robin’s cousin Steve had passed away.  The day was wet and wild, and we drove up to Palmerston North to attend the church.  Reflecting in the car that as the aunts and uncles have now all passed on, sadly the cousins are the older generation.   Quite a sobering thought.  With our part of the country being in “Level 2”, gatherings are capped at 100 people.  Therefore, the family  wanted to know who was likely to attend, and no doubt a bit of number crunching went on, with emails finally sent out inviting us to attend.  It was a lovely service, and we were well spaced out in the church.  I did wonder if refreshments would be served afterwards, and it was done quite well, I thought.  Instead of everyone helping themselves from the platters of sandwiches, savories and cakes, servings were arranged in individual containers, rather like airline food. 

Saturday was still rather wet, but by Sunday the weather had changed for the better.  I spent the morning keeping an eye on my large pot of boiling marmalade, feeling rather like a witch as I bent over the boiling cauldron.   Found myself muttering  “Hubble Bubble, Toil and Trouble”  while I stirred the boiling fruit.  Many thanks to Robin’s brother Gary for the fruit from his trees. 

P1000407P1000409

Orange and lemon marmalade

Gemma decided that since it was a lazy Sunday morning and after she had enjoyed some crunchies for breakfast, why not go back to bed.  I didn't have the heart to disturb her, so the bed stayed in disarray for a while longer.  Which goes to show who is really in charge in this house!

P1000406

Can’t disturb the cat

Sunday afternoon was so nice and warm that we sat outside for an hour or so enjoying the weather.  I was quite happy with my knitting and a cuppa, and Gemma was snoozing on the seat making the most of the sunshine and warm temperatures.

And here it is Monday, my son’s birthday.  He lives in Christchurch so  I phoned to wish him Happy Birthday. “ How old are you now?”, I asked.  Michael was shocked and told me as his mother I should know exactly how old he is!  Of course I knew, well, my guess was quite close.  Bet he can’t remember how old I am, and that I have a biggish birthday coming up soon.

Today I’ve been piecing some backing for a quilt top I finished a while ago.  The blocks for this quilt were part of a long ago block swap, so I’m incorporating the signature blocks from the those who took part into the backing.  Then I can take it to the commercial quilter to work her magic, it’s a bed sized quilt so too big for me to quilt at home. 

P1000410

Signature blocks will be part of the quilt backing

It’s been a while since I updated my List of Six and rolled the dice again to choose which project to work on.  I want to get the pieced quilt backing completed in the next day or two.  It’s going to be a busy week with several appointments, an outing or two, and possibly the weekend away in the caravan, so it could well be next week before I get to work on my new list. 


13 comments:

Janice said...

What a newsy post. It is sad that funerals have to be limited, but we do what we must. We found my Aunt’s recent funeral to be well managed too. There is only my Mum and one of my Dad’s sisters left in their generation. My brother and I are the babies of our generation, so many of my cousins are getting a bit long in the tooth. Yummo! Marmalade is always a nice treat on toast. You will have a nice little supply. I think all cats took the roost. Gemma isn’t silly. They don’t say “cats have servants” for nothing. I’m looking forward to seeing your quilt finished. Won’t it be good to tick it off the list st and work on another project.

Karen S said...

I am really impressed with how well different businesses are coming up with ways to safely deal with keeping us all safe. Looks like the funeral industry is one of them. Good to know.
But having said that, sorry that you had a family funeral.
I am pleased you had time for marmalade and stitching.

Julierose said...

It certainly is a sobering thought to come to realize that you, yourselves, are now "the older generation". We are in that position now--I often think my own family I knew as a little girl have all "gone over that final rainbow"....sobering indeed...

I love that picture of Gemma snoozing on your bed--she looks so comfy there--no wonder you didn't want to disturb her...sweet.

Hugs from a coudy and humid day here across the world from you...stay safe there...
Hugs Julierose

Mary Jo said...

Just found your blog and have enjoyed going back thru time and reading old posts. I had the honor of visiting New Zealand with a group of Master Gardeners from North Carolina last year. I fell so in love with New Zealand! If I was not in my mid 70s I would seriously consider making New Zealand my home!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

So many funerals have been postponed or private services only in recent months. I imagine that makes it doubly hard for the family. Congratulations on preserving so much marmalade. It’s a lovely idea of put the signature blocks on the back of the quilt. I hope you have a delightful week.

The Joyful Quilter said...

A mixed bag, for sure, Jenny! My condolences on your family's loss, along with happy returns to your son on his birthday. Hope you've got something interesting planned for your big day coming up.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jenny sorry to hear that you had a funeral to go to ,very hard for family in these strange times. Well done with making your marmalade my hubbys favourite.,Had to laugh with Gemma ,yep i think she rules your house lol,she is such a pretty cat,stay safe and take care my friend xx

Jackie said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

You have been busy. Marmalade is something I have never tried to make.

God bless.

sewyouquilt2 said...

Sorry for your loss. It is sad the many ways corona has changed how we live

Maria said...

Sorry for the loss in the family, good you could attend and it was well catered at this time.
Great pot of marmalade to fill those jars...
Gemma does look comfy on the bed and yes our fur baby's are the boss...
Stay safe and well.

Michelle Ridgway said...

My condolences to your family Jenny. It is a difficult time to have to organise a funeral. You look to have a good lot of jam made....yum! Great idea with the pieced backing and nice memories too.

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm sorry that you had to attend a funeral, but it sounds as though it was handled in the best way possible. It's wonderful that you could make marmalade from fresh fruit! I'm impressed, as I wouldn't have the first clue about how to go about it. No doubt that fresh from the tree means that marmalade is fantastic. It's interesting to see how you go about choosing which projects to work on. And how did your "Under the Sea" embroidered quilt turn out? Did I miss seeing a picture of it?

Rose Marie said...

You made me chuckle about the marmalade ..... I'm going to make tomato relish this weekend and wonder if I, too, will be humming the ditty!