Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, August 8, 2020

Purple Blocks

It was time to stitch up a few more purple blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. How about some Checkerboard blocks?  I enjoy stitching these, and finding little bits of the nominated colour each month to put in them.  Can you see the iconic Combi vans?

P1000314

Purple Checkerboard blocks

Next up was a purple Spool Block to add to my collection.  The pattern can be found on Lorna’s blog Sew Fresh Quilts.  You can find the post and free pattern here

P1000315P1000319

Gemma didn’t want to miss out from a photo opportunity so rolled around on the spools and tried to rearrange them for me.  Looks like she is telling me she likes the pale blue one best.

P1000317

Gemma and the Spool blocks

It’s mid winter here in my part of the world, although the temperatures have been reasonably mild, with a few cold days now and again to remind us that it really is winter, after all.  Winter to me is soup season, and I made some broccoli and cheese soup yesterday for lunch, so tasty.  It’s green, so it’s got to be good for you!  This one is done in the microwave, and is nice and easy.  In my mind, there is nothing better than home made soup.

P1000312

Broccoli and cheese soup for lunch

15 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love winter soups too - homemade chicken noodle and ravioli soup are favorites.

Maria said...

Your checkerboard will become a great quilt and the purple spool looks great...
I like the purple best Gemma !
Oh not sure about green soup ?

Jackie said...

What a lovely block. I can just see those spools marching across a quilt.

God bless.

Michelle Ridgway said...

All your Purple blocks are looking great. Yummo! Homemade soup x

Janice said...

Your RSC blocks turned out well. That bowl of soup looks perfect for a winter days lunch.

Lyndsey said...

I love the blocks Jenny. I also love broccoli and cheese soup but it's way too hot for soup here today.We went for a walk before the cloud burnt off but I'll be staying indoors in the cool for the rest of the day.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Winter is definitely soup season; although, I do enjoy it any time. Broccoli Cheese soup is filling and yummy, too.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those spool blocks are so fun - I'm going to go check out how to make them! I love broccoli cheese soup, too. Can you share your recipe?

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job on using up some more PURPLE scraps, Jenny (and thanks for the link to the Spool blocks!!)

Deb A said...

I make soups year round! The broccoli soup looks great. Pretty purples in your blocks.

Nancy said...

You must be in the southern hemisphere if you're having winter. We're in the midst of heat here in Ohio but soup is a favorite in winter, here, too. Yours looks delicious.
I like your spool blocks, made with striped fabric. What a great idea. And Gemma is beautiful. Does she often choose blue?

Jenny said...

Thank you all for your nice comments. As requested, here is the soup recipe.
Sure, no problem.

The soup is made in the microwave, recipe by Alison Holst, known as St Holst in our household.

500g broccoli - I don't bother weighing, just use a head
2 tab water, 2 cloves chopped garlic, 25gr butter, 1 tab flour, 1 cup milk, 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup grated cheese

Prepare broccoli, cut into flowerettes, chop stalk finely, add water to bowl and cook on high in microwave 4-6 minutes

Tip into food processor, and when cooled, whizz up.

Heat garlic, butter, flour in bowl in microwave for 1 minute, stir in milk. Heat till bubbling, stir till smooth, then add boiling water and bring back to the boil again. Add cheese, then pureed broccoli, reheat without boiling. Garnish with extra grated cheese.

I do hope you enjoy it.

Jenny

Marly said...

Lovely purples, especially in the collection of spools.
Thanks for the soup recipe; I was just wondering how you'd made it, but I wouldn't have thought of the garlic - good idea!

Karen S said...

Lovely to see all the purple blocks growing. Always fun to see them together at the end.

Susie H said...

I'm with you -- love a good, homemade soup and I don't mind if it's winter OR summer! Thanks for the recipe. Saved it for later. Oh right! This is also about quilting and your spool blocks are so cute. Going to make a really neat quilt!