Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, August 28, 2020

Hug it Forward

I had heard about a request from Plunket for pre-loved baby clothes for needy families.  I’m happy to support the clothing drive – no pre-loved baby clothes in this household, but I do have several hand knitted baby beanies I’m glad to donate.

P1000431

Baby beanies

Plus I had two little cot quilts I made sometime ago, one for a girl and one for a boy.  These were made out of a pile of nine patches which were hiding in a crate, so I was pleased to put them to good use.  Dare I admit that I’m sure I have even more 9 patch blocks tucked away?  Never mind, they are the good basis of another baby quilt sometime in the future.

P1000430

Two baby quilts looking for new homes

Image may contain: text that says "Hugit HUGGIES plunket whanauawhina forward Bring in your pre-loved baby clothes and we'll give them to a Plunket family in need PYTFON OYL"

What is Plunket, you may be wondering?  It is a New Zealand institution.  Dr Frederic Truby King helped form the Society for the Promotion of the Health of Women and Children at a meeting in Dunedin, New Zealand in 1907. Later that year, Plunket opened the first Karitane Home for Babies in Dunedin, followed by a further six Karitane Hospitals to supplement home and clinic visits.

The Royal New Zealand Plunket Trust provides a range of free services aimed at improving the development, health and wellbeing of children under the age of five within New Zealand, where it is commonly known simply as Plunket. Its mission is "to ensure that New Zealand children are among the healthiest in the world".   In my day as a young Mum, Plunket nurses came to the home to visit new Mums and their babies, and their help was invaluable. As the babies grew, we attended local clinics.   Most New Zealand babies were Plunket babies, and I am pleased to give them a donation to help them with their good work..

15 comments:

Maria said...

The beanies and baby quilts are going to a good home.

Nancy J said...

Love the idea, and new hats and baby quilts are so lovely. Guess what???? I still have my Plunket book from 1940, is that a record?

ButterZ said...

You are very kind and generous. Every little bit helps

Julierose said...

Lovely donations to what sounds like a worthy charity..nice work Hugs Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like a good cause - new moms can always use some help I think - I wish we had something like that when I was a new mum so many years ago

Connie said...

I enjoyed reading about The Royal New Zealand Plunket Trust. What a wonderful thing for mothers and babies. Your quilts are so sweet . . . I had a neighbor come over to visit yesterday and she told me that she is getting her first grand-babies soon. Twins and boy and a girl and she asked if I would teach her to quilt. She wants to make them both a quilt, but she has never quilted. This will be fun and a great way to get to know her better. We have been friendly neighbors, but never really spent much time together, just hellos, smiles and how's it going neighbors . . . this will be a great way to get to know each other better :)

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The hats and quilts are perfect donations to this cause!

Jackie said...

What great and lovely donations.

We had the public health nurses here who came out when our babies were first born. It was lovely to have an adult woman to talk to about any problems. They also gave the babies a really good check up.

God bless.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I see you've made your marmalade Jenny. Bet it's really good esp. with fresh fruit.
Sorry about another passing...I still have one aunt and two uncles left.They are all in their 80's, two almost 90.
I remember those baby quilts and what cute little hats. The Plunkett program sounds wonderful so such a great cause. I am not surprised New Zealand would give new mothers this kind of support.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jenny what a kind and loving lady you are those beautifully made items will be well loved,stay safe and take care my friend xx

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sounds like a good cause to support, Jenny. Your hand knit hats and sweet baby quilts will be SEW appreciated by needy families!

Janice said...

How wonderful that you could contribute to such a worthy cause. I’m sure your donations will be appreciated.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Great donations to,a great cause and sure to be loved and appreciated Jenny x

Karen S said...

What a wonderful cause. Thank you for the explanation.
Love the beanies you have knitted. And I remember you making those quilts, too. Glad they have found a good home.

Miaismine said...

Thank you for explaining about he Plunkett cause! Those baby hats are so cute!