Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, August 20, 2020

Something for Gemma

I’ve been doing some sewing over the last coupe of days, something for our beautiful Birman Gemma.  She really needed another couple of “cat mats” – I have one under her litter box and another under her feeding tray.  They certainly serve the purpose of keeping the flooring clean but of course they need frequent laundering.  It goes without saying that cat lovers would have some kitty fabric in the stash, and I found two novelty type fat quarters tucked away, so that is what I used.

P1000403

Two cat mats for Gemma

These were made very simply, just two layers bagged out, with out any wadding, stitched across the middle and around the edges to hold them together.  They are now in use, here is the green version protecting the carpet under Gemma’s feeding tray.

P1000405

I've also stitched up a little something for the caravan.  We have found that occasionally the glass  turntable in the microwave comes off the fitting while we are travelling.  I remembered I had some thick upholstery fabric (used to make caravan cushions earlier)  tucked it seemed just the thing to make a simple draw string bag to protect the glass while we travel.

P1000397P1000398

For the caravan

So that’s what I’ve been up to the last few days.  Our regular fortnightly Sew Wots get-together did not take place as there were concerns about not able to do social distancing while we are currently in Level 2.  I’m sure we all had plenty of stitching to do in our own homes.  I know I have, together with trying a couple of new recipes – there is always something to keep us busy, isn’t there.  It’s currently raining quite heavily here. Mother Nature is reminding us that yes, it still is Winter here in New Zealand.


9 comments:

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jenny oh what a great idea for the bag for the microwave ,I might do one for ours,the mats are another great idea ,well done ,stay safe and take care my friend xx

Maria said...

Purrrrrect new mats for Gemma and the draw string bag a great idea for the microwave plate...
Keep safe and well.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hadn't thought to do that for the microwave, ours comes loose too - one day I might open it to find it has broken

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Practical sewing at its best! Clever idea to make the drawstring bag for the turntable plate. COVID cases continue to rise in my town. The state University is located here and the students have returned. It’s difficult for young people to comply with social distancing recommendations.

Julierose said...

Very cute cat mats....and I like that baggie idea for traveling. Nice works
Hugs julierose

Karen S said...

Great idea with the cat maps. And I like your idea of the bag for the turntable in the microwave. May have to do that when we pick up our van.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a great photo of you and Robin in that last post! A keeper.
And my gosh, that cake looked so good, as did the happy birthday girl.
I had to smile when you mentioned cat lovers have cat fabric in their stash. You put it to good and practical use, Jenny. Sorry about the Sew Wots.

Jackie said...

What a great idea for the mats. I used placemats and a boot tray. They worked, but yours looks so much nicer.

Great idea for the bag to put the microwave turntable in.

God bless.

Janice said...

I’m sure Gemma will appreciate her mats and the bag is a great idea for the van. It’s a pity you can’t get together to stitch, but best to o the right thing. It’s rather wintery here too, with lots of snow on the surrounding hills. Fortunately, we missed out here in town.