Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Colour Point Cats

With the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2020 underway, I decided to make fairly simple blocks for two charity (donation) quilts, and then, although I really should know better, to work on something for me.  This third pattern involves both curved piecing and foundation piecing – would it all prove too much, I wondered? Firstly, I had to take the pattern down to Warehouse Stationery to get multiple copies made.  The shop was really busy, it was just before the schools opened after the long summer break, and was full of harried looking parents and school kids getting their stationery requirements for the new year.  I remember buying books, pencils, stationery for my own two children many years ago.

It took me a while to come to grips with the foundation piecing, it all seems rather back to front to me, which it is, of course.  But then I was soon into the rhythm of cut a piece of fabric, pin it in place, make sure it will cover the next sewing line and adjust if necessary, stitch along the line, fold back and trim, then press in place – and do this all over again.  Slow but steady, I eventually got there.  And as orange had already been announced as February’s colour, I stitched two blocks at once.

P1330502
Stitching arcs

I cut all the pieces out for the cats, one green and one orange, and did have a moment when I wondered how I would get the curved pieces fitted together.  Just as well I checked the instructions, I had to match the dots, and it all went together fairly smoothly, using lots of pins to hold the pieces in place.  And look, I now have two completed colour point cats!

P1330510
My two cats

They will need faces of course, and I’m really pleased with how they turned out.  I’m calling them Birmans, like our Gemma.  I know this breed comes in all sorts of colour points with cream, orange, blue, lilac, chocolate, or seal point like our Gemma – although I’m not too sure about green cats. 

My very first taste of foundation piecing was quite some years ago, and I didn't date it, sadly.  This was done at a night class, and stitched over pre printed cotton strip.  I remember the teacher calling them Marvelous Minis at the time, and she had brought the strips back from one of the big quilt shows in USA.  Robin had a large silver grey cat called Mistie when we met, so once we married, I became her new Mum.  This little mini was done in honour of Mistie.

P1330504
Pink and Grey Cats, this hangs in our bedroom

19 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you Jenny for commenting on my blog about my Breast Cancer. It is a rare type for white folks; more percentages in black and spanish women. Having found it incased and stage 2 and no lymph node involvement, they said if I survive 5 more years I should live the life God has planned for me healthy. I had a virus attack my immune system and ended up with a diabetic stroke, amyatrophic neuropathy, in my left leg mainly and all through my body. I had just started to drive again and had driven to my mammogram in September. So, now I am on chemo and having LOW critical WBC drops and Hemoglobin and platelets....then at day 9-10 I start gaining a little strength before the next Chemo Treatment. God is my Joy and strength; my hub is constant helpmate. I am just so wanting to cut our Caroline's Quilt pieces!!...but not today...resting and being good in my recliner; reading and watching College basketball. I am so glad you are a survivor; God bless you....I enjoy your blog posts....will subscribe. Thank you Again! Karen

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a wonderful idea! I love these cats. I have done a little work with paper like that but it has never been a favorite method - these are going to look good in all the wonderful colors this year

Kate said...

Those colour point cats look tricky.

Julierose said...

Oh you did so well with those kitties--really great work hugs, Julierose

Connie said...

Jenny those two blocks are amazing, you are so talented. I've never seen that block before. It looks very tedeous. I don't think that I could do it. Bravo to you!

Nancy J said...

Lovely cats, and colours, the one we thought was a stray that came to us, his home is just up the street and he might be a " Lilac Abyssinian". I used freezer paper for points like that in a Mariner's Compass, and found it a lot easier than tearing away paper. Great idea to get the templates all printed out, and yes, getting all the stationery, these days guess it is iPad or laptop!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your cats are so cute! They will be fun in all the colors. I think you did a wonderful job with your paper piecing!

Janice said...

What a great design. I love it. They have turned out so well. It took me quite a while to get my head around FPP, but now I’m OK If I take it slow and steady. Is will be a gorgeous project.

Maria said...

WOW! Jenny I love your foundation pieced cats.. A technic I'm not too keen on.
Your first cat wall hanging looks lovely too.

Judith nb Serena said...

What beautiful cats, they look very fiddly to do, well done.
Judith nb Serena

Michelle Ridgway said...

Wow! Amazing! They look fantastic....too tricky for me lol!

Susie H said...

I love your kitty blocks! They look fantastic!

loulee said...

FPP is something to take slowly I believe, even once you have it mastered, it does still seem to be back to front.
Good luck with your projects.

Karen S said...

Lovely work with your orange and green cats. They are great. I think you have nailed this skill already.
Lovely to see your Mistie quilt as well. that is special.

Cathy said...

Oh, your Birmans are adorable!

Jennifer said...

I think I made those same blocks several years ago for a bee block exchange. Love the colors of yours - they will be so fun with all the colorful cats!

Cathy said...

Your cat blocks are so cute! Congrats on tackling - and successfully beating - the paper piecing. I’ve never been able to wrap my brain around it. It will be an adorable quilt, Jenny!

Kim Sharman said...

I have never tried foundation piecing. You cats are fabulous.....so very clever.

Raewyn said...

Great work with the foundation piecing Jenny - those cats are gorgeous! I'm sure I have a pattern similar to this..something else I may have to pull out and play with! (Oh the days of school stationery supply shopping! YD told me they did it all online this year and it was Very Easy - the shop even had the requirements lists of each school online and they just ticked boxes!)