Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, February 14, 2020

Valentine’s Day

As I’m sure everyone knows, February 14th is celebrated as St Valentine’s Day.  Saint Valentine was a clergyman in the Roman Empire who ministered to persecuted Christians. He was martyred and his body buried at a Christian cemetery on the Via Flaminia close to the Ponte Milvio to the north of Rome, on February 14, which has been observed as the Feast of Saint Valentine (Saint Valentine's Day) since 496 AD.

Although we don’t tend to go “all out” here in New Zealand, it’s nice to celebrate with your partner.   We personally don’t do flowers or chocolates, but on a grocery shopping trip today I was delighted to see some big burly young men departing with bunches of flowers for their special someone.  Our own Valentines Day celebration is usually a meal out together - we are booked in to a local restaurant tonight to enjoy a nice meal together.

And to keep things romantic, my quilt “Hearts of Love” gets it’s turn on the bed during February.  And again in November, the month we wed.

P1330590
Hearts of Love

8 comments:

Janice said...

Enjoy your day and dinner.

Kate said...

I love your Hearts of Love quilt, Jenny. Enjoy your dinner out.

Julierose said...

Oh how sweet is that quilt;))..So pretty and I love its sentimentality...nice work hugs, Julierose

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I hope you enjoyed your special dinner and night out.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well that is a pretty quilt- we don't do a lot Mike usually goes over board buying me bags of inexpensive chocolates that I like and sometimes flowers but not always. I usually make him chocolate chip cookies that he likes. The restaurants are so busy I usually just make us something here at home.

Maria said...

Have a lovely dinner..
Nice to have the pretty Heart quilt on your bed for the two special occasions..

Karen S said...

Enjoy your special meal.
Lovely to see your quilt having its turn on the bed.

ButterZ said...

That's a special cute quilt