Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Cot Quilt

Just a little sewing has been happening this week.  I thought it was high time I started finishing off a couple of quilt tops made last year, before I start making a new list again.  The first one chosen to work on is a little girl’s cot (donation) quilt, not too big to deal with.  Yes, I have a piece of batting which will do, but would you believe it, just a little short.  So some “franken-batting” took place, as I joined some left over strips to two sides of my batting piece.  And you know what happened when I got the  pretty pink  winceyette (flannel) out for the backing – once again, not wide enough, so again I added pieces to the sides.  No wonder it took me a while to get some actual sewing done.

P1330521
Quilt top and pink backing ready to be pinned together

After I’ve been down on my knees on the floor to put a few safety pins in my quilts, I often then carefully pick it up and lay it on top of the glass topped picnic table under the gazebo to finish the job.  Much easier on my back, and it’s very pleasant sitting outside on a nice day, remember, it’s summer in my part of the world. 

P1330522
I like to use plenty of safety pins

At the moment I’ve stitched in the ditch around all the blocks, so that’d \s a good start.  Not sure if I’ll get any more done this week, there is a lot to squeeze in, and then before we know it, we are off on another caravan trip.  Have to make the most of this good weather.  But I have prepared the binding, the same fabric as what I used for the borders. 

P1330520
Quilt binding prepared

When we return home after our three week trip away, this project will be top of the list again.

10 comments:

ButterZ said...

Great preparation for your return.

Janice said...

It’s going to be lovely when it is finished. A great way to use up what you have.

Joanne in Massachusetts said...

Lovely bright fabrics, sure to cause a smile every time it's seen.
Don't know how you can do any pinning on the floor. I even got risers for the legs of my cutting table because my back muscles couldn't take it.

Kate said...

I like your binding and look forward to seeing your cot quilt when it's finished.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

if though you need to put the batting pieces together it is always nice to use up those left over pieces and know you saved them for a reason.

Julierose said...

Oh this is such a cute quilt--love the sashing fabric you used...it really looks great--enjoy your trip out and about again..;)) As my Mom used to say--"Go while you can!!":)))
hugs, Julierose

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Finishing small projects is satisfying, especially when you can reduce some scraps of batting and fabric. I like to use a lot of pins, too.

Maria said...

Sweet baby quilt and the border and binding fabric is lovely.Look forward to see it finished on your return.
Enjoy your caravan trip...

Connie said...

It certainly can be frustrating when the batting and back need to be made larger. We've all been there, LOL.
Have fun on your trip and take pictures, so we can tag along :)
Safe Journey,
Connie :)

Karen S said...

Lovely to see this one coming together. It will be a lovely donation quilt.