Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, December 26, 2019

Merry Christmas

P1320902
Merry Christmas to all my blogging friends

The big day arrived, and we spent it quietly at home together.  With phone calls and plenty of snap chats to keep us in the loop with the family.  Our breakfast was the usual Christmas treat for us, hot croissants filled with melty cheese and ham off the bone.  My daughter Nicky’s idea, and one which we copy for Christmas morning breakfast.  Of course, I had to don my Christmas apron while I was on kitchen duties, it’s the only day of the year it gets an outing!

P1320910
Kitchen duties

As usual, it all seems to be about food on Christmas Day.  The weather was nice and warm so we sat outside and enjoyed our starter, baked brie with walnuts and drizzled with maple syrup on crackers.  So delicious, and super easy to make.

P1320907
So tasty

Meanwhile, Robin had a leg of lamb cooking away outside on our Weber BBQ, and the smell was divine.  He sat and podded some fresh peas, and roast veggies were cooking inside.  We certainly didn't go hungry!

P1320915
Delicious leg of lamb

It was a lovely meal, with cheesecake and raspberries to follow, (I had decided to forgo a Christmas pudding this year).  “Pop” went the top off the bottle of bubbly, and we raised our glasses to each other.  After all that food, it was time for a little R&R in the afternoon, and phone calls to other family members to wish them well. 

Then after a very light evening meal, I settled down to watch my hero Elvis on TV, a rerun of the 1968 Comeback Special 50th Anniversary, which relaunched his music career.  This show had many singers re-create the 1968 performance that propelled Presley back onto the world stage after years of absence. The '68 Comeback Special was the singer's first televised performance since 1961. Dressed in a black leather jumpsuit and accompanied by a full band, Presley dazzled a small, intimate crowd with his performance that immediately became a widely popular telecast.  With clips of Elvis throughout, and his songs sung by a multitude of singers, I was in 7th heaven.  Can you guess that I’m a real fan?  In fact, I can remember hearing him sing “Love me Tender” as a young girl, and I was smitten from that day on!

Frank Carroll/Gary Null/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images
Elvis Presley during his '68 Comeback Special on NBC.

I do hope everyone enjoyed their own Christmas Day with those who are special in your life.  Merry Christmas to you all, and many thanks for being part of my own blogging family, I appreciate each and every one of you.

9 comments:

Julierose said...

Looks like you had a perfect day for it...a bit chilly here--but not bad hugs, Julierose

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jenny sounds like the perfect day ,Merry Xmas my friend xx

Kate said...

Looks like a delicious meal! Best wishes for 2020.

Nancy J said...

Our quiet day was all the better when Grand-daughter went home from hospital. And shopping this morning added to the fun. They had rain in Rotorua, sunshine in the far south, and for us, some sun, a little breeze, and our own tomatoes. and courgettes. The garden is starting to provide us with lots of veggies this summer.

Tired Teacher said...

Merry Christmas!

Podunk Pretties said...

Sounds like a beautiful day. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

ButterZ said...

How lovely Jenny. That lamb looks delicious.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Love the embroidery in the last post, Jenny.
It is morning here and I haven't eaten so this post has my mouth watering! I do brie like that too sometimes with honey sometimes with maple syrup. And lamb is a favourite of ours (unfortunately very expensive up our way).
Sounds like a sublime day to me and hope the rest of the holidays are equally as enjoyable. Merry Christmas to both of you.

Judith nb Serena said...

Sounds as if you had a lovely Christmas day. I was drooling over your choice of food. We spent Christmas at home in Pembrokeshire, Wales with our family and two 5 year old granddaughters, so rather hectic. We will stay here till early January then head back to our narrowboat to get ready to go off cruising. A Happy New Year to you both.
Judith nb Serena