Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, November 30, 2017

And this week I’ve……

Another busy week in the pre-Christmas rush. The highlight of the week so far was to celebrate our special get-together with the Sew Wot ladies on Tuesday.  I’ve been out and braved the queues at the busy local post office, standing in a long line to get an overseas parcel to my quilting pen friend Carol weighed and posted – and purchased plenty of stamps while I was there.  If there’s something I really dislike it is queuing at the post office – no matter what time I go, there is always a queue!  But that job’s done now, thank goodness.  Then I sat down and wrote cards and letters to overseas friends – another job off the list.

P1090325
Cooking up marmalade

Another job done was to make a batch of marmalade – not something which was on my “to do” list, but just sneaked on.  When my friend Shirley picked some grapefruit for me straight off her tree, I couldn’t say no.  Seems a lot of older people cannot eat grapefruit if they take a particular medication, so the fruit is not as popular as it once was.  The fruit was prepared, put through the food processor and left to soak overnight.  Then the next day I cooked it up, ladled the hot mixture into the prepared jars, and just look at all that golden goodness.  Robin can’t eat marmalade either, so it is all mine – this little lot will last me for ages.

P1090328
Grapefruit marmalade

We’ve been out and purchased a ham for the holidays, just a small one, so it can fit in our caravan fridge.  And cut, chopped and frozen bags of rhubarb growing rampart in our garden so it doesn’t go to waste.  I’ve managed to factor in a trip to the hairdresser for a long overdue hair cut, and we are away for the weekend to attend our Christmas Caravan Club Rally.  No wonder I haven’t had time for any sewing this week!

5 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

I've never heard of grapefruit marmalade, but I bet it's delicious! Enjoy

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Fresh grapefruit marmalade. Yum, sigh, swoon. That is one thing I miss, not because of medication but because I don't eat bread so toast is off the menu. You can't beat a nice slice of well buttered toast with slashing of marmalade. Sigh

Michelle Ridgway said...

I do love marmalade! Those bottles look very delicious! Ohhh and rhubarb crumble lol! Yes the old post office is a busy place this time of year.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Lovely Sew Wots Christmas get together, Jenny. You really are fortunate to have such like minded ladies to spend quality time with.
We both love marmalade and eat quite a lot of it...usually Robertsons'. I imagine homemade would be awesome.

Karen S said...

Home made is always best. Don't the jars look lovely!
Yes, I have just organised and posted all my overseas parcels and cards. Now to do the local ones.