Spring has definitely sprung down here in New Zealand. Which means a change in decorating too. The first change was to put my new duvet cover on the bed which I completed recently, my giant Churn Dash. Then off with my heavy cat quilt on our bed with cozy wool batting which I like to use over winter. This has been replaced with a my “Stars in the Garden” quilt.
Stars in the Garden over Giant Churn Dash Duvet cover
Time to change the quilt hanging above the couch too. My dark, moody, winter quilt International Maple Leaves has come down, to be replaced by the my New Zealand Bird Quilt. Doesn’t that look more like Spring? The birds will stay there until it it time for a Christmas quilt.
International Maple Leaves has been replaced with New Zealand Birds
Even our tiny bathroom has a quick change. I have two small fishy wall-hangings and like to use Hawaiian Rainbow Fish in the winter for a bit of extra colour. This gets changed to the lighter hued A Fishy Supper, a gift from my English pen friend Rose a few years ago. Like quilters everywhere, I love to ring the changes, and bring out some of my favourites.
My two fishy wall-hangings for the bathroom
I’m pleased to say that I’ve dealt with my pile of mending – some for me and some for him. Some quilters have been known to say “Picasso, or Michelangelo, don’t paint ceilings so I don’t do mending” Not me – I’m happy to do a little mending for my hubby, and even more happy that I still have him sharing my life. Like most of us, I have friends who have lost their partners, and I bet they would give anything to have them back in their lives, and do their mending too.
My pile of mending
Shortening the legs on my new summer trousers was easy enough, as was stitching up a couple of seams on other items which had come apart. Then I fixed the inside pocket on Robin’s shorts, a little bit trickier, but they are his favourite shorts, after all. The last item was a lightweight back pack which we had taken away on our trip. Made of parka nylon, it obviously wasn’t designed to carry a couple of heavy water bottles, snacks, and parkas day after day and the strap ripped out of the seam. After I thought I had fixed it, zig zagging over the seam for extra security, I had a good look and thought, that’s not right. So had to carefully unpick all my stitching, and do it again. I won’t win any prizes in the Great British Sewing Bee, but at least it is done!