Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

“Inspire” – Pinestream Quilters 2012 Exhibition

Everyone was dressed in their best last night when we attended the official opening of my club’s exhibition, Pinestream Quilters.  This started off with refreshments while everyone mixed and mingled.  Our exhibition was judged by Chris Kenna who told us during the opening ceremony what criteria a judge would work to.  Presentation of awards followed, and then Mayoress Sue Guppy officially opened our exhibition.  The doors were opened, and we all filed in to see the quilts hung in our lovely local gallery.

“Best in Show”was awarded to Gael O’Donnell for her quilt “Joefish Blues”.  The design was amended from one seen in a magazine some time ago and the quilt was made for Gael’s nephew. 

DSCF2757  Best in Show,  “Joefish Blues”

“President’s Choice” was a wall-hanging stitched by Ruth Nicolas, which also won “Best Innovative Wall Quilt”.  Sadly I did not take a note of the name of this quilt.

DSCF2754 President’s Choice and Best Innovative Wall Quilt

My quilting friend Jenni F and I walked around the hall admiring the explosion of colour and design and checking out the prize winning quilts.  But where were ours, we wondered.  There they were, hanging side by side.  Jenni’s soft and pretty quilt was made using her beloved Mum’s doilies, set with Dresden plate blocks.  This is a lovely way to keep the doily collection together, and the quilt was much admired during the evening.   

DSCF2759 Jenni’s doily quilt

My quilt, “Angels to Watch over you”, is made up of angel stitchery blocks and appliquéd stars.  My grand-daughter Emma was horrified when I told her I had made this quilt for my first great-granddaughter.  Emma has no plans to have a baby anytime soon, she told me!

DSCF2760 My Angels quilt, waiting for the next generation

We decided that we all need to come back to the exhibition to have another good look at all the quilts without the crowds of opening night.  In fact, I have invited two non quilting friends to view the exhibition with me next week.  It will be interesting to see what takes their fancy, and I will have the opportunity to take photos of other quilts on show.  Watch this space. 
 
For anyone who lives in the Wellington area, or is passing through, our show is on at Expressions Gallery, Fergusson Drive, Upper Hutt, and is open until 4th November.  Do come if you can, entry is free.

2 comments:

Derek and Dot said...

I'm not actually a non quilter, I do have one to prove otherwise, although not as clever as you. :-)

Jenny said...

Ooops, sorry about that. Yes, indeed you have made a quilt, and a very good job you did of it.
When are you starting your second quilt?