Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

G is for Giraffe

I’m running late, I know, for my A-Z Challenge block this week.  What with a couple of day trips out in the car this week, and a visit to the doctor, the days have  just rushed by.  But better late than never, and I chose G for giraffe.

DSCF2582 G is for Giraffe

My giraffe came from a piece of African savannah fabric left over from a much earlier project.  Mr Google told me that the the giraffe is an African even-toed ungulate mammal, the tallest living terrestrial animal and the largest ruminant. The name is derived from the Arab word “Xirapha”, which means “the one who walks very fast”.  There are nine species of giraffes, and the average life span in the wild is 20-25 years.  Auckland Zoo is the only place I have been up and personal to a giraffe.  The zoo has been is the news lately as they have recently sent a young bull giraffe to Australia, and taken delivery of a young female,  to help with their respective breeding programmes. 

Now – about that doctor visit. The bad news is that the doctor confirmed that my cough and sore throat is viral, and is likely to last for three months.  The good news is that I’ve already been coughing and spluttering for six weeks, so the time frame is half over.  As there are no anti-biotics given for viral infections,  I’ve been told to sip lemon and honey drinks, gargle salty water to help my throat, and take Panadol to ease my sore head, which is probably caused by all that coughing.  Let’s hope I feel better next week!

No comments: