Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, November 27, 2009

The Christmas Apron Challenge

I had been sewing away diligently on my Christmas Apron challenge to get it completed in time for our November club night. Whew – did it with one week’s grace, that’s a relief. There is nothing worse than stitching right up to the moment you step out the door!! The challenge was to make a Christmas themed apron, of our own design. I am definitely a wearer of aprons – probably because I am a messy cook, so this challenge certainly took my fancy. So I went hunting for that commercial apron pattern that I knew I had from years gone by, (Butterick 4066). Remember those tissue paper patterns? And the trouble you have trying to fold them all up neatly afterwards and get all the bits back into the envelope? I decided to stitch the selvage from the Christmas fabric across the apron bib. The print was used for the straps, pockets and the apron hem, teamed with cream homespun. It didn’t turn out too bad, if I do say so myself.

DSCF2249 My Christmas Apron featuring a selvedge bib

Last night my apron joined about 16 others hung up during my quilt club meeting. There were all sorts of variations on the theme, some had appliqué, some were embellished within an inch of their lives, and some just let the fabric speak for itself. There was a lovely Christmas Fairy flitting about the hall, and she stood still by the Christmas Tree just long enough for me to take her photo.

DSCF2253 The Christmas Fairy

Voting time arrived and we oohad and aahed as we checked them all out and finally made our choice. Judging was by Viewers Choice, and I am happy to report that the apron I voted for was 1st equal. This was a fun competition and everyone enjoyed seeing the end results. Great work from all who took part.

DSCF2256 First prize equal goes to Margaret and Anne

4 comments:

cinzia said...

Aprons are the real big thing these days aren't they? I love your apron and was very impressed that you could find your pattern from years ago.. that is organisation.

Jenny said...

It took me a bit of hunting to find the pattern, I must admit.

Julie said...

Love the winning aprons, although my vote would have gone to the appliqué one on the left!!!LOL

FlourishingPalms said...

Your apron is charming! I especially like how you used selvages in the bodice. You should have won!