Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, April 20, 2024

Mellow Yellow

 It's time for a little yellow sewing - according to the RSC rules, yellow is the colour of the month.  I'm stitching several Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects, so out came the bags.  First up were the pirate blocks.  These aren't going to be done in every colour of the rainbow.  Rather, I'm picking out several colours which are featured in  the pirate fabric, and so far have done green and red.  This month is yellow, and I have light and dark blue to go, when their turn arrives.  That was easy.  

Three pirate blocks

Also easy was the four patch framed blocks set I'm making.  There was only one four patch block in my bag which had a bit of yellow in it.  Plenty of others waiting in the wings, I noticed some pink and blue four patches patiently  waiting.  These small four patch blocks in mostly novelty children's fabrics were stitched up a couple of  years ago when I was sorting through some smaller squares.

Next up were Happy Blocks, featuring a little yellow.  These are fun to make, and easy peasy too.  There are bird houses, dots, flowers and cute little yellow bunnies.  I've actually got a set of both boys and girls Happy Blocks from 2023 RSC still to assemble.  Plus......how many more block sets tucked away?  Oh dear, they are all mounting up.

Happy Blocks and Framed Four Patch

Now we have tested clear from Covid, we have had a busy week.  My annual mammogram had to be rescheduled from when I was in home lock down, so I'm pleased I could get in so promptly.  I consider myself very fortunate to get these free annual mammograms, a follow up from having  breast cancer several years ago.  Here in New Zealand the free mammograms come to an end at age 69.  I opted for a private paid mammogram the following year, and after years of getting clear results, this was the the one which showed I had a problem.  Money well spent, and I was soon in the hospital system getting treatment.  


Off for my test

Inside the x-ray room I discovered a pretty little heart quilt on the wall, obviously made for a friend who had been diagnosed with  BC and loaned or donated to this facility.  Such a lovely though.



Hanging in the breast screening rooms



14 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

That is indeed money well spent! I hope you are doing well, Jenny and the problem has been treated. You are in my prayers. The little heart quilt is gorgeous. What a lovely discovery to find in the x-ray room. Your Happy Blocks are adorable- love those pirates. Enjoy your day.

Maria said...

So good you opted to pay for your mammogram and that it was detected and treated.
Lovely quilt hanging in the BC waiting room.
Love the RSC blocks , all will make great donation quilts.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I’m so glad they caught your breast cancer early enough for successful treatment. Lovely quilt in the mammogram room. I have helped to make several quilts for people going through cancer treatments. Your happy blocks always make me smile. Sounds like you have a pile of them accumulating—time to make some quilts!

scraphappy said...

Glad you were able to get your screening in. So nice that they had a quilt there. Love the pirate fabric. Such a happy color combination.

Berkshire Tatter said...

It is so good that you wanted to continue with a follow up mammogram. Prayers that all continues to go well for you.

Marthanne

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

great to be clear another year - seeing as you had had breast cancer are the mammogram's back to being free as you need to follow up yearly?

Deb said...

So glad we have mammograms! Just had mine 2 weeks ago, we get them free here as long as Dr.
requests so we are fortunate. Like you pirate squares, I have a bin of novelty /juvenile prints that may get that treatment! Take care and happy sewing!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Love all your yellow Happy Blocks! They are very cheerful. So sweet of you to make a quilt for the BC Mammogram room. :)

maggie fellow said...

hope everything goes well

Maggie said...

So blessed to be able to have the test. The quilt is so heartwarming to see. Love the little pirates on the yellow blocks.

Astrid said...

Pretty yellow blocks, love those pirates, so cute. Glad you decided on a private clinic and got your mammogram done. Take care and keep sewing!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Hope things continue to be all clear for you, and that you have many years of sewing fun to come.

grammajudyb said...

Hope your treatment continues to go well and the results are good. Happy blocks are so much fun and very easy! Hugs to you!

Karen S said...

The yellow really brightens up the blocks. They look great.