Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, April 21, 2024

Knitting for Jack, and Happy Birthday Gemma

 There's a new baby in the extended family.  Robin's siter Kaye recently became a grandmother for the first time, when baby Jack arrived.  That was exciting news, making Jack our great nephew, I think.  I had already sent the new Mum and baby a colourful baby quilt, and then decided to knit him something.  Time was moving on, and babies grow so quickly, don't they.

I decided to knit the cozy little Jessie Jacket, designed by Kiwi Stitch and Knit Co..  This is knitted in a combination of stocking stitch and garter stitch, and has a little rolled edge collar.


What was really interesting about this pattern is that it was knitted in one piece, starting at the lower back, up the sleeves, then down each front.  I had never seen a pattern like this before, and it was surprisingly easy to knit.


Knitted in one piece

I really enjoyed knitting this little jacket, and will probably knit it again.  Perhaps for one of my great grandies, if and when they arrive.  Then again, it's always a good idea to have a little something tucked away, just in case, isn't it.

And....... our beautiful Birman Gemma turned 6 this week, goodness, aren't the years flying by.  We celebrated her birthday with a piece of cake each for us, and a new toy for her.  She likes soft toys which bounce, and often tears around the house in the evenings when we throw the ball.  


Cake for us and Gemma's new toy


15 comments:

Kim said...

Baby Jack's jacket is lovely, both in design and colour. I love that it was knitted in one piece. And...happy birthday to Gemma. One should always celebrate with cake.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Such a cute sweater for baby Jack! I would like to make something like that. I am the world’s slowest knitter and a baby sweater seems less daunting than a sweater for an adult. Happy birthday, Gemma! You are a well loved cat!

Lyndsey said...

Welcome to baby Jack and congratulations at becoming a Great Aunt. The little jacket looks lovely and I like the idea of knitting it in one piece. Happy birthday to Gemma, She is such an elegant cat.

Lyndsey said...

Welcome to baby Jack and congratulations at becoming a Great Aunt. The little jacket looks lovely and I like the idea of knitting it in one piece. Happy birthday to Gemma, She is such an elegant cat.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I had a crochet pattern like that sweater and it was one of the easiest I had ever tried to make. When I should as I was making it many were amazed as they never saw a pattern like it. I need to give it a try again

Berkshire Tatter said...

Happy Birthday to Gemma. Time does fly. That looks like a very interesting pattern, and maybe easy to enlarge. Have a great day.

Marthanne

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is such a cute Little jacket - and its so tiny!!!!

CathieJ said...

That is a wonderful baby jacket. I love the color you used. What, no photo of the birthday girl?

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Aah congratulations for the new arrival in your family. I am sure you will spoil your great nephew rotten. Jessie's Jacket is so precious and how interesting to see how it comes together. Beautiful job. Have a great day, Jenny.

Jill said...

A precious ‘lil jacket. Knitted in one piece is a bonus. Happy Birthday to Gemma!

abelian said...

Happy Birthday, Gemma! Enjoy your fuzzy toy. I love the little jacket. I just visited the designer’s page on Ravelry, and found several nice little sweaters to add to my favorites. Dot in North Carolina

Jackie said...

What a cute baby sweater. Love the pattern and it looks like it would knit up a dream. Happy Birthday to Gemma.

PS
My Dad's name was Jack, he was born Jacob Jr, but preferred Jack.

Deb A said...

Happy Birthday to Gemma! The baby sweater is beautiful.

Maria said...

It's lovely to have a new baby in the family.
You knitted Jack a lovely cosy jacket.
Great easy pattern.
WOW! Gemma 6 already.

Karen S said...

That is a gorgeous little jacket. Perfect for the cold Winter days.
And Happy Birthday, Gemma.