Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, August 12, 2023

Yellow Stitching for RSC

Another month has rolled by, which  means another colour to use for my Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) blocks.  My Little Bricks were done first.  I’m making two versions of this.  Zig Zag blocks stitched in a row, then the original Little Bricks pattern, both versions very simple to make.  Not many big pieces of yellows in my stash, but I found enough small pieces of different yellows to make my blocks

P1030585

Yellow Bricks in yellow

Happy Blocks were next, and they do certainly look bright and happy sporting their sunny yellow hues.  I found three boy themed squares to use, some more of those circus type animals, a caravan camping in the great outdoors, (bordered with cream, but that’s close enough for me) and a red and yellow airplane.

P1030712

Happy Blocks for a little boy

It’s always easier to find many more charm squares suitable for a girl, than for a boy.  There are always plenty of flowers, and I also found irons for those laundry days, and some rather orange lady bugs on a yellow background.

P1030711

So that’s my RSC sewing so far, although I do have blocks to make for another RSC project.  I plan to do these later in the week.

Have you ever received one of those mystery parcels which you just keep unwrapping to find yet another parcel, and another, and many more inside?  That happened to us last week when we were away at a caravan rally.  Our friends Helen and Owen handed us a rather large parcel wrapped in gift paper, to open at our leisure.  We put it aside for a while as we were off to Happy Hour with the group.  Back in the van we removed the gift paper and opened the large carton.  Inside was another carton, and about eight more, all sealed up tight and getting progressively smaller.  Finally, inside a black plastic box, we reached the end.  It was a name badge for each of us, stating that we had reached the total of 400 rallies!

P1030629P1030630

All these boxes for the tiny name badges

Helen and Owen had recently achieved 100 rallies with our club and purchased new badges for themselves showing that they had reached this milestone.  Then they decided that our 400 rallies needed recognition too so kindly gifted us these badges.  So kind of them.

18 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Wow! 400 caravan rallies! That’s a lot!
Your yellow scrap challenge blocks look great. Isn’t it fun to see the blocks accumulate over the course of the year?

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Yes, wow, 400 caravan rallies deserves a tag!
meanwhile I too enjoyed seeing your blocks with yellows. I'm rather skimpy on yellows too and really don't want to buy any more fabric so will go with what I have.

Gretchen Weaver said...

That's a LOT of rallies! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

LOL must have been funny opening one package after another wondering the whole time what the gift was.
I agree easier to find fabric suitable for a girl than a boy

Jenn Jilks said...

That is a fun reward. Your quilting is amazing.
Our grandkids have friends who are non-binary, and are referred to as they/them. Kinda interesting times for all.

Kathy S. said...

Fun to open all the packages. Our son would have a hay day with that. Congrats on your 400 rallies. Your yellow blocks are bright and happy.

Lyndsey said...


400 rallies is a lot of trip and a lot of fun. Fabric for boys is definitely harder to source than for girls.

Julierose said...

What a fun gift--400 rallies is amazing!! Lots of fun I'll bet;))
I really like your little yellow zig-zag blocks--very pretty...hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

What sweet yellow blocks!
And rally on! I'll bet there's more milestones to reach!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

They made you work for your name badges, but what a fun surprise to find! I love your zigzag bricks design, too. Those are going to be so fun with every color of the rainbow!

Helenchaffin said...

yellow bricks is a good name for the little blocks,luv the happy blocks,thanks for stopping by my blog today

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

So fun and funny about the name badges in the boxes!!! Love your charm square blocks, Jenny!!!

Cathy said...

I think the box in a box in a box (etc) is a hilarious idea! Congrats on so many rallies!! I always love your Little Bricks blocks. The yellows you have are just delightful!

ButterZ said...

Great achievement. And they sound like so much fun too.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Wow 400 rallies ! That is amazing. What fun times, memories and friendships I am sure that you cherish. Your sunny blocks look amazing.

Linda In UK said...

What a lovely gift from your friends. 400 rallies sound an awful lot of holidays, how long did it take to do that? Pretty RSC blocks.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Congratulations, that’s quite a milestone!

Karen S said...

Lovely work with your yellow blocks. I think I would struggle to find a lot of yellow, too.
Congrats on a great achievement reaching 400. Wow!