Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, August 25, 2023

This took a long time

Finally, a finish.  This strippy boy’s quilt was made from donated fabrics from my elderly neighbour’s Dorothy’s stash which I received some time ago.  Dorothy’s quilting had slowed down over the years, but she had collected a huge stash of fabrics, with many suitable for children.  For this project I selected two WOF 1/4 yard pieces in navy to start with, one with areoplanes and helicopters,  and the other featuring construction machines,  plus some red and cream solids to make a strippy quilt.  The completed quilt top was pinned up ready for machine quilting a year ago, and then it sat patiently folded up over a chair in my sewing room.

P1000272

Pinned up on the patio table

And there it sat, and sat and sat.  Till finally a year later I thought, why don’t I just get this quilted!  So I settled down to work, completed the quilting, and applied the binding strip.

P1030544P1030558

Finally getting it done

I always enjoy hand stitching the binding down, this usually takes me several days, off and on, but I don't really mind as I find it quite a restful sort of job.  The pretty red and navy spotted backing was donated to me as well, and went perfectly with the quilt top, I thought.  I love the binding clips, after years of using pins for this job I finally bought some clips to use, no pricked fingers now.

P1030583

Binding time

As I said earlier, this has taken a long time from start to completion.  But now it is finished and will be donated shortly to keep some little boy warm and cozy.

P1030755

P1030754

Ready for donation

12 comments:

Nancy J said...

This is stunning, love the wide border and the binding a great finish. Yes, it will be well loved.

loulee said...

A lovely finish Jenny. Great for a young man.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Don’t you wonder sometimes why we wait so long to finish some projects??? This is a great quilt for someone interested in transportation!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it turned out great!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great finish, and I am sure some little boy will love it.

Julierose said...

What a beautiful finish, Jenny:))) I love how this turned out. I like those little clips too...and also enjoy hand binding...hugs, Julierose

Maria said...

Fantastic finish and looks great quilting it in the Serpentine stitch…..

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Great job! Unfinished projects are masters at taunting, aren’t they.

Jackie said...

Wow, that is just a stunning quilt. I love the stripes.

I am thinking of purchasing those clips for sewing as well. Are they much easier to use than pins?

God bless.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a darling quilt, Jenny.Gorgeous fabrics as well. Binding the quilt can be quite relaxing. Have a great weekend.

Karen S said...

That is a great finish.
Love the way you have used the mix of fabrics. The combo works really well.

FlourishingPalms said...

How you used Dorothy's fabrics to piece the quilt top, and then did the basting and quilting yourself... it's very generous. The quilt is adorable, and I admire you for making it. And I'm glad you finally got some Wonder Clips. No doubt you like them, as I do. The only thing I'll be interested to know is whether yours start breaking, in about five to six years, as mine are doing now. I'm not sure whether it's because of the way I use them, or our humid climate (though our home is air-conditioned) has had an impact on the plastic, but I've thrown away at least 20, maybe 30 clips in the past year because the flat, clear side of the clip breaks. It's very frustrating. Anyway, I'll be curious to know if you ever have problems with yours. Happy sewing and stitching!