Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, June 22, 2023

Winter Solstice

It’s the winter solstice here – the shortest day and the longest night.  You know what that means – it’s time to change the seasonal quilts.  Down came the Autumn wall-hanging, to be replaced with Welcome Winter.  I know we don't have the hardship of snow on the ground where we live here in New Zealand, but I rather like this little wintry piece.  It was a kit sent to me by my quilting penfriend from South Dakota.

P1020767

Welcome Winter

International Maples has been hung over the sofa, and the black background makes it a winter quilt in my eyes.  This was a block swap I took part in, with blocks arriving from Australia, Canada, USA and Indonesia, with two stitched by me.  And I machine quilted this quilt.

P1020770

International Maples

And across the back of the other sofa is another Maple Leaf quilt.  These blocks were received during a birthday block swap I took part in some years ago.  We were put into a group of twelve, and stitched blocks for each of us as the appropriate birthday months arrived.  We could request which particular block we would like to receive.  I wanted maple leaf blocks and supplied the background fabric, and machine quilted this one as well.  This sofa is right under the heat pump and Gemma often arranges herself along the top in the winter.

IMG20220728232448

Gemma on the Maple Leaf quilt

On the bed is my winter House Cats quilt, nice and cozy with wool batting.  This is a real oldie, and the first quilt I ever got commercially quilted.  I love this photo, Gemma is asleep on the cat quilt, which was made to honour our part chinchilla cat Misty when she died, with her head on the cushion which has a picture of our previous Birman Muffy. The three cats were not related, but this seems like a three generation cat picture to me.

P1020859

Gemma on the cat quilt

After some glorious weather winter has decided to make it’s presence felt.  Today is cloudy, windy, and definitely chilly.  The heat pump has been on all day, it’s been a good day to stay tucked up inside doing a little knitting.

10 comments:

Julierose said...

What an adorable sleeping Gemma on those lovely kitty quilts and pillow--nice memories...
I love that little Winter scene kit you made; just such a wintry look to it...I've never attempted a maple leaf, but always really liked that pattern...nice work on yours
Stay warm in there;))) hugs Julierose

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Gemma looks very comfortable in both her spots! Love your autumn quilt with the black background. It was first day of summer for us, but it is cool and rainy all week.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is nice to know that you have heat on a cold day isn't it. I always feel for those less fortunate that have a cold house in the winter.

Maria said...

Hanging the Winter Wallhanging is a good way to welcome the season.
Love all three of your gorgeous winter quilts.
Stay warm.

Helenchaffin said...

I know the Earth rotates but I still find it amazing how we experience different seasons during the year,I luv Fall but I've got to go through what's about to be a very hot Summer!this could be why people have Christmas in July 😂

Jenn Jilks said...

These are lovely! I like changing decor up by the season. It honours it, and refreshes the space.

Jackie said...

And it was the Summer Solstice. Mind you it has cooled down a bit which makes things much more comfortable.

God bless.

dq said...

The one with the winter house is my favorite!
I enjoy changing with the seasons as well. It gives the house a brand new look.

Jill said...

Sometimes the winter solstice can be a welcomed rest. The shorter days and longer nights tend to force one to rest. Gemma is certainly enjoying her down time.

Karen S said...

It is so great to see you using your quilts throughout your home. So special.