Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, March 13, 2023

Weekend in the Country

Last weekend was spent with fellow caravan club members at a Park over Property (Pop) on a farm just north of Feilding.  This is where owners make their properties available to NZMCA members for a small fee, offering somewhere safe to park up, quite often a grassed or shingle area.  The owners of these properties are also members of NZMCA (NZ Motor Caravan Association). 

P1020315

Early arrivals

There is a toilet available for the use of the campers, and the farmer obviously has a sense of humour.  The attached sign reads “Last Dunny for 240kms”.

P1020321

This way to the loo

Staying at a rural property is full of delights for those of us who live in suburbia.  There were sheep in the paddocks, chickens running around, and the roosters made sure we all woke up bright and early.  In a neighboring farm we could hear the stags roaring, no doubt warning rival stags to keep well away from the hinds.  There were even some peacock babies running around, we spotted several penhen mothers and their gangly legged chicks trying to keep well away from the visitors and their caravans invading their farm.  The mums flew over the farm gate, while the chicks scrambled through the metal bars.  Sadly I didn't have my camera at the ready to capture their antics.

After lunch the club went out for Afternoon Tea at a local café, while we traveled on to Kiwitea to meet up with the family, and had a cuppa and a good catch up on their newly built deck.  The granddaughters are very keen horsewomen and Emma took me to the paddock to meet her Dad’s new acquisition, a pretty roan pony.  And to say hello to Emma’s two horses, mother and daughter duo Sonata and Fire Dancer.

P1020326P1020328

I had to go and greet the horses

The farmer and his wife joined in with us for morning tea and happy hour, and told us that one of his sows was farrowing, and if anyone was interested, he would take us to see the babies the following day.  How exciting, I’m rather fond of these animals.  We tiptoed into the barn where Mum was laying down and the babies were suckling.  “They are at the milk bar”, the farmer intoned.  Then he picked a piglet up, what a racket that little one made, squealing at the top of its voice!

P1020337

P1020333

Just look at those cute little piglets

I spent a bit of time sitting outside in the sunshine while I finished off the back of my cardigan/jacket.  You may remember that I had knitted up to the armhole decreases while on holiday, found I had an incorrect number of stitches, so then sat to and unraveled the whole lot!  So I am pleased to finally get to the end of it, the second time around.

P1020323

The back is finished at last

We had a lovely weekend away in the country, catching up with our caravan buddies, played a game of Battle Sticks outside one afternoon, and took part in a couple of quizzes in the evening to test our brains.  Met up with family, and then got to see those little piglets, much fun. 

10 comments:

Kim said...

It sounds as if you were surrounded by a menagerie, Jenny. Pigs have the loudest squeals. I tried to catch one in our garden once and oh my goodness, he was a slippery one. The back of your cardie looks lovely. The garter pattern at the top is a nice touch.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have never camped at a farm before but I have heard that some people here are starting to open up their farms/vineyards now to camping to help them financially -

Maria said...

Such a fun place to have a weekend with your camping friends.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Piglets can certainly squeal when they are unhappy! It’s been years since I’ve heard a rooster welcome the sunrise. I miss my years on the farm.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Sounds like a fun weekend away with the farm animals! Baby pigs are cute but can be very loud! Nice to finally have the back of your sweater done!

Jackie said...

What a lovely way to spend the weekend. Love that you got the back finished on your sweater.

God bless.

Judith nb Serena said...

I enjoyed your resume of your South Island trip. I have enjoyed all the posts from the trip. Reading about you having to undo your jumper reminded me of an aron jumper I once made, I'd got virtually to the neck when I noticed a wrong stitch done near the bottom and unpicked it all because I knew if I left it that it would bug me every time I wore it.
Judith nb Serena

ButterZ said...

That’s sounds like a great time. How cute are those piglets.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What a delightful trip, Jenny. I can imagine those little piglets squealing.It sounds like ya'll had a grad time and a wonderful visit with friends.

Karen S said...

It looks like a lovely location. Great to see farmers opening up heir properties like this.