Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, March 4, 2023

Back with RSC again

Hi to all Rainbow Scrap Challenge ladies – it’s been a while but I’ve made it back.  The last 10 weeks we have been enjoying a wonderful caravan trip around the South Island of New Zealand.  So no RSC for me during my time away.  But I’m back home again and raring to catch up again.  Last year I probably went overboard a bit starting new RSC projects, but then doesn't everyone?  So I’ve got quite a bit to complete from 2022 and if I'm honest I’ll probably start a couple  of new projects this year as well.

The first thing I wanted to do was to assemble the blocks on my flag quilt.  I used up the more girly coloured flag blocks late last year and made a small quilt, and these are the remaining blocks.   Looking back on my blog, I started stitching these easy peasy little blocks back in August 2020!

P1020285

Putting the blocks together

I only needed to stitch up a few more, but then you can imagine what happened, I found a few extras in the bottom of the bag.  A few hours pinning and stitching and the flags were assembled, then the following day I cut, measured and added the border.  And prepared the binding, something I like to do early.  The next step is to layer it and then add some simple machine quilting. 

P1020303

Flag top all done

Next in line was to work on my Little Bricks, a lovely little design kindly shared by Silvia at http://treadlestitches.blogspot.com/.    This was a mid year start last year, in July, so I intended to carry it over in 2023.  And I wanted to try a different setting, sort of a zig zag step.  So I stitched up a dark blue row to add to the previous ones I had already made.

P1020305

Stepped Little Bricks

And because I had always intended to make a small quilt in Silvia’s original setting, another new project came into being.  Six blocks each  in blue and pink to catch up for the new year.

P1020308

Pink and blue, with the new colour for March to follow

So that’s my RSC stitching since we have returned home.  But I made a point of reading the RSC link-ups each week to see what everyone was doing.  I must say, it’s great to be back home with my sewing machine again.

20 comments:

Linda In UK said...

Love your projects. Enjoy finishing them. Where did you visit in the South Island? We know it well, having owned a house near Kiateriteri for 12 years and visiting before then. Travelled over most of South Island including Stewart Island, also North Island. Happy days!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Welcome home! Happy sewing!

Helenchaffin said...

Sounds like an amazing vacation,it's a good feeling when we see our scraps turn into something beautiful,I have quite a few UFO's as well

grammajudyb said...

Fun to see the remaining flag blocks all together in a great little quilt. The zig zag setting of the little bricks is quite interesting and now you’re all caught up to March. 10 weeks away on a traveling vacation sounds heavenly! Glad you had a grand time, but you are right, it’s always good to be home again!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think we all miss our routines after awhile when we are gone traveling

Deb A said...

So glad you had a nice holiday. Your RSC projects are all looking great. I really like the flag quilt.

Jenn Jilks said...

I think my lesson is to keep several projects on the go. If you don't feel like doing one, another might inspire.
I am having trouble getting motivated!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your flag blocks, Jenny, and it's so fun to see them made into a quilt! Every time you share them, I want to make some. The little bricks make a sweet design, too!

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness, Jenny! You’ve been stitching up a storm! And all of them are so darling. I really enjoyed your long vacation trip and the posts along the way! was it really ten weeks? I so admire your energy and sense of adventure! xo

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Welcome home. Great way to ease back into the RSC by assembling blocks from prior years.

loulee said...

You've made great progress on your RSC projects.

Ivani said...

Flags quilt looks so pretty, Jenny, and I love the layout of your Little Bricks blocks.

Mari said...

Nice to see you again after your lovely vacation. Yor bricks blocks look great, and I love the flag quilt. On to green!

Jackie said...

You are one busy lady. I do love the flags quilt, and the step quilt is lovely as well.

God bless.

Anonymous said...

Sew nice to be home and back to your sewing machine! Great RSC quilt projects. I love the flag quilt. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Karen S said...

Great to see the blocks coming together. You have really jumped into it on your return.

Maria said...

So good to catch up on your RSC.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You are off and running, Jenny. Great job I love seeing your little bricks quilt. I started piecing these last year after seeing yours. I guess I need to get back to mine as well. Hugs.

Birthe Marie said...

Great projects you are working on and your flag quilt is so beautiful.
In Norway we say: "Away is good, but home is best."

Susie H said...

Welcome back! How nice to go on such an extensive vacation. Bet you saw a lot and still had time to relax a bit. When I'm away, it's always a grand reunion with my sewing machine too. Looks like you got back in the groove again. Love your Stepped Blocks. Should make for fun layout possibilities!