Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, March 18, 2023

A busy week with RSC

I've been sewing green little bricks blocks this week, with two projects on the go using this nice simple little block.  First is my zig zag stacked bricks row, this is carried over from RSC 2022.  Then I’ve started stitching little bricks, to be put together in the original setting.  Gemma was ready  to give her opinion once I was ready for a photo shoot.

P1020309-001P1020310-001

Little bricks in green

Then I started a new RSC project, two of them in fact.  I decided to carry on making Happy Blocks again this year, a quilt for a boy and one for a girl, as I’ve got plenty of child themed 5 inch squares which were donated to me.  I’ve caught up for the first few months and stitched green and blue for a boy, but no pink allowed.  There are pirates, dogs, snowmen, bunnies and creepy crawlies in this lot.

P1020311-001

Then I stitched pink, blue and green for the girls blocks.  What's hiding  here?  Baking stuff,  ballerinas, and various critters.  These little blocks are fun to make.

P1020312-001

Happy blocks

You may remember I was stitching boys happy blocks last year as one of my RSC projects.  That is now assembled and waiting to be quilted.  Hopefully I’ll get to it soon.

And I have a finish!  It was time to pin up the flag quilt and get quilting.  Of course, Gemma helped with that too, holding the quilt sandwich down to stop it escaping when I was having time out from machine quilting.

P1020313-001P1020314

Working away

The binding didn't take too long to stitch down on this little cot quilt, then it was all done.

P1020362

Second Flag quilt

Looking back on my blog, I started stitching these easy peasy little blocks back in August 2020!  The first quilt using these blocks was completed in late November 2022.  I had found this interesting design on the internet and decided, ”I can do that” and I’m pleased how this one turned out.  So that’s two small cot quilts using the flags blocks.  These two will be donated, I’ll drop them off at the Foster Hope collection site shortly.

P1000791

Previous quilt using flag blocks

15 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Gemma is indeed an excellent helper! Lovely donation quilts.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very nice to make those quilts for donations

Ivani said...

What would you do without Gemma assistance? She is so cute!!!
Little bricks and Happy blocks are fun to make and yours are looking great.
Love your finished quilts. Congrats!!!

Sara said...

Oh yes - those Happy Blocks will be awesome in the kids' quilts. And it reminds me that there are some hanging out in my sewing room too, just waiting to become a quilt.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I always love seeing your happy blocks, Jenny! They really are happy! The flag blocks make such great designs, too. I'm going to need to make some of them!

Kim said...

So....did Gemma approve of all your quilty loveliness?? I love all that you have showcased, Jenny, especially your gorgeous Flag quilt and those pretty little boy and girl blocks. Such a beautiful finish your Flags quilt is!

Maggie said...

Happiest when we can explore all the beautiful fabrics with eye spy everywhere we look. I have been collecting fabrics for making one. Love the way Gemma just knows when to pop into the creative space to give it her “top paw rating “!Wonderful finished quilts, enjoy your weekend.

Linda In UK said...

My goodness, you have been busy, Jenny. I love making Happy Blocks too and they always come together to make a great quilt, with plenty for the child receiving it to look for. What a lot of sewing went into making those two Flag Quilts. Really enjoyed reading your post and looking at the photos. Hope your work passed Gemma’s inspections.

Fiona said...

you have some lovely quilts on the go and I love the flags - it is so effective and so is the first one with the bricks...
Hugz

FlourishingPalms said...

I don't know why, but seeing green-colored quilt blocks is refreshing! Lately, I've been piecing my green scraps to make blocks too. It's so good that you're making a boy quilt. In my years of experience, leading new quilters to make charity quilts, they all tend to make girl quilts. It's so important to remember the boys too, and I'm glad you are. Blue and green is a great boy-colored combo. Your flag quilt blocks are just lovely! Sort of modern-looking, if I'm free to say that. Very nice! You're so generous to make quilts to donate. Bless you.

Susie H said...

There's a lot of joy in this post. Congratulations on the finishes AND the new starts!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

aren't you the productive one. Each project just as fun as the last.

loulee said...

Wow you did have a busy week. Lovely blocks and a cute quilt or two.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You have been so busy, Jenny. I love how you turned the little bricks to create a zig zag design. Gemma is as cute as a button and I bet a great supervisor.

Char said...

Love the flag quilt and those Happy blocks are a great idea. I have lots of old novelty prints, I might have to try a few.