Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Friday, September 16, 2022

She enjoys being a Caravan Cat

We are away for a three day weekend with our beautiful Birman Gemma.  Although she tolerates the car travels, she doesn't really relax completely. She puts up with going up and over the hills, along windy roads, laying down on the consul between our seats.  When I occasionally stroke her back she shrugs my hand off, as if to say, “I’m here, but I’m not really happy about it”.  Poor Gemma.

It was a two hour trip on Thursday to get to our campsite, and as we didn't leave till late morning, I took our lunch with us to eat on the way.  Once we were up and over the Pahiatua Track, going over the Ruahine Ranges, I opened our handy little lunch container which is kept in an small insulated cover.  Mmm, very nice indeed, bacon and avo sandwiches, a kiwifruit muffin and hot coffee each.  Actually the coffee was a bit of a disaster, the insulated mugs didn't really keep the drinks as hot as I would have expected, and mine had developed a nasty leaking problem, so I had coffee dribbling all down the front of my top!  These cups need to be replaced, I feel.

P1000478

Lunch on the go, something I prepared earlier

For Gemma, it’s a different story once we arrive at the campsite.  She can’t wait to get out of our Jeep and  inside the van.  I make sure she has water and crunchies available, and that the door is opened in the shower where her litter box is stored.  But all Gemma wants to do is jump up on our bed and relax.  Later in the day Robin put his fleecy jacket on the bed.  That’s nice and cuddly, she thought, thanks for that, and in return I’ll leave you some of my beautiful white cat fur.

P1000494

It’s so much nicer on this jacket, she decided

Robin put the club flag up, and there were four early bird vans which arrived on Thursday.  The weather was fine but chilly with rain promised.  

P1000493P1000480

Early bird arrivals on Thursday

As expected a little house work needs doing in the caravan, including the seemingly never ending dishes.  I got a clean  tea towel out for this chore, and found my Haworth tea towel had come to the top of the pile.  A lovely reminder of our visit there during our first UK trip.  Wuthering Heights would be one of the classics, in my opinion, and I was thrilled to visit both the church and the parsonage and where the Bronte's lived.  A favourite tea towel, funny how little things make me happy!

P1000492

Bringing back memories

A peek out the window early on Friday morning and what did I see, a beautiful glowing sunrise.  This is looking like a great start to the weekend.  But sadly, the rain set in after lunch.  A shame really, as there is no hall or meeting place available for us to use here at the camp site.  We will just have to work around it and hope for sunny weather.

P1000490

Looking good so far

6 comments:

Kathy S. said...

Oh, poor Gemma. Glad she got to snuggle in the jacket. That looks like a lovely lunch! YUM! I find happiness in simple things like sentimental tea towels as well. Live your best live and have joy! Happy travels.

ButterZ said...

Hope they weather fines up for you. Sounds like our day here today

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sorry you are getting a wet camping weekend - that makes it not as much fun I always think but then on rainy days I prefer to be inside. yes I think you need some new insulated coffee mugs - there are some great ones out there.

Ivani said...

Poor Gemmam it is hard for a cat a 2 hours drive.
Owo Beautiful sunrise. Hope you have a sunny weekend.

Janice said...

I had to chuckle about Robin’s jacket. I sympathise. That is something we will have to look forward to when we get home-Joey fur on everything again. I hope you get to the Farmers Markets as per the sign. It doesn’t take a lot to keep us happy, does it. I have a few favourite tea towels in the van too. Good luck with the weather.

time4stitchn said...

What lovely adventures you have in your caravan. I can only imagine how your cat behaves; they are such fickle creatures, but such great pets. Enjoy your weather as it turns to spring there. We are beginning to see leaves turn here and think of pumpkins and such.

Happy belated birthday to Robin!