Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, September 4, 2022

Handcrafts, Art and Cheesecake

Our weekend was spent in Woodville (about 90km each way).  We were invited  to attend a caravan rally (with a different group) and it was nice to catch up with several couples we had met up with over the years at different rallies.  One of the highlights for me was the craft display.  Although I didn't know it was happening ahead of time I had several hand stitched items in the caravan, so I could take part too.  There obviously is a lot of talent in this group, with everything from knitting, quilts, toys, hardanger on show.  I certainly enjoyed checking things out, although I am not sure of the maker’s names.

P1000400

Three wall-hangings, and my two embroidered native birds below which live in our van

P1000402P1000403

More beauties

This quilt was made to commemorate a caravan trip around the South Island, and features New Zealand fabrics and hand embroidered blocks of their travels.  Such a great idea.

P1000405P1000406

Travel quilt

P1000409P1000411

Knitting and crocheted blankets

The men in the group had crafts to show as well.  Wood turning and making spirits, a toy caravan, and kit set models too.

P1000410P1000407

P1000404

Made by the husbands

P1000413

My caravan apron and place mats

On Saturday the club organized a visit to Gottfried Lindauer Studio, a replica of his original studio.  Born in Bohemia, Lindauer came to New Zealand in 1874 and was well known for his portraits of Maori people and settlers.  After travelling and painting his way around the country, he settled in Woodville in 1887 until his death in 1926.

P1000420

A peek inside the studio

Did I mention cheesecake?  A visit to Yummy Mummy Cheesecake shop was a must.  So many delicious flavours on offer, and as the girls told me, there was a special offer if I purchased two.  So I did, chocolate, and raspberry with white chocolate.  These small cheesecakes are enough for two, so we enjoyed them for dessert for two nights in a row.

P1000423

Yummy Mummy Cheesecakes

The caravan rally was fun, the people were very friendly and surprise, surprise, I won a raffle prize, that was a thrill!  Each rally the members take along a can or packet of food for a raffle – the items were split into three prizes.   This is what I came home with.

P1000428

Not bad for $1 raffle

And for those of you who have never heard of the place name Woodville, there are towns called this all over the world.  Check out this.sign post.

P1000421

Many  Woodvilles in the world

12 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Looks like a fun caravan rally! Great to see all of the things that everyone has made…a talented group!

Ivani said...

The Caravan rally craft display was so cool, and you also win the raffle prize! Yeah!!!
Sounds like you had lot of fun.
I am so glad for you.

FlourishingPalms said...

You always have a great time at these caravan rallies, don't you? How fortuitous that this one included a craft show. I'm glad you had pieces along with you that you could show too. You shared pictures of such a wide variety of talents, though I seemed to notice a bit of a theme with "camping." :-) You always seem to find good eats wherever you go too. Happy for you to have won a raffle, and a nice assortment of goodies. I had to smile to see Woodville, Florida on the sign... and then I had to look it up on the map. I'd never heard of it!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is fun running across a craft show when you aren't expecting it. I love the wallhanging with the white flowers on it - so pretty. And you won a raffle basket of goodies some of those look pretty tasty.

Maria said...

A fantastic Rally and good you had many of your beautiful crafts in the van so you could enter the Craft display.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a fun craft show! So great you had something with you to take part.

Jeanne said...

According to Google, we are 196 miles from Woodville California :) The toy caravan is adorable!!!

Karen S said...

Having a craft display is a real bonus.

ButterZ said...

So nice to see a beautiful display of crafts. Love the Woodville sign too.

Jackie said...

Great crafts and I am glad that the men got involved as well.

Congratulations on the win.

I never realized how many Woodville's there are in the world. We actually were in the one in Canada a few years back for a family wedding.

God bless.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What a fun adventure, Jenny. It sounds like ya'll always have such fun when you go camping. I bet it was such a treat to see all of the crafts and quilts on display. How wonderful that you had such lovelies to share as well. Have a great week.

Janice said...

What a talented bunch. It was great that you had some of your craft that you could share as well.