Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Still Sewing Red

I’ve often read that other quilters don't do mending – that’s not true in my case.  I’ve recently stitched a few buttons on here, fixed a neckline or two there, mended one of Robin’s polo shirts, and shortened a pair of three quarter pants into a pair of shorts.   It certainly is true, a stitch in time saves nine, and I can feel virtuous at the end of it.

After that mending stint, I did some more red sewing for my Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  And yes, there is a new project or two.  I’ve long wanted to make some scotty dogs, and decided to use some small pieces of tartan fabrics found in the bottom of the box I received from my neighbour Dorothy.  Just right for scotty dogs, I thought.  The applique  pattern is an old one I’ve had tucked away for years.  And here they are, five red Scotties, edged in black.  I don't have the whole rainbow spectrum in my little pile of tartan,  so will work with what I have.

P1030380

Five scotty dogs

The other new project added to the list could probably be whipped up in no time at all, but I decided to stitch it month by month as the colours are selected.  Also included in Dorothy’s cartons of “stuff” was a multitude of 5in squares.  I picked out some to make a boy’s donation quilt, starting with this month’s colours of red, and added a border around each square.  It doesn't really matter, I decided, if it was the square or the border which will be in the colour of the month.  As I’m not in a hurry for this quilt, it will be interesting choosing blocks to suit each month from my selection.

P1030381

Three framed blocks

I’ve been on a bit of a roll with red, and have to say it’s not my favourite colour.  (I often think of red as the colour of violence, probably because of all the serial killer books I read).  The final red thing I stitched was a draw string bag for Foster Hope, the charity I support, using a four patch block from another RSC project.  I had made three red blocks and decided two would be sufficient for the quilt, so recycled the extra one into a bag.  This is now put away with several other bags I made before Christmas, and will get donated when I have a reasonable amount of items to give away.

P1030382

Drawstring bag

So that’s my stitching for the week.  We are currently making the most of the hot sunny summer weather.  It’s been really pleasant sitting outside after dinner when the heat of the sun has gone, and it is still pleasantly warm.

23 comments:

Maria said...

So cute are those Scottie dog blocks.
The framed blocks will grow into a great boys donation quilt.
Great use of the left over red block by making the draw string bag.

Ivani said...

Sweet scotty dogs blocks, Jenny and the boys blocks for a donation quilt looks great in red.
Have a great weekend and enjoy sitching outside after dinner.

Cathy said...

Oh, those little Scotty Dogs in plaid are so cute!
Framed squares are fun!
Maybe you think of red as violent because of the phrase "seeing red" when angry. I think of it as the color of roses (are red, violets are blue). I have to admit I have read a lot of true crime books that include serial killers but that hasn't changed my love of red! Funny how we associate emotions with colors! Seeing red, in the pink, feeling blue, green with envy...

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great red scrappy projects, Jenny! I love those scottie dogs!

maggie fellow said...

cute, cute scottie dogs

Julierose said...

Just adorable vintage Scotty dogs you have made with the plaids--really cute...
hugs, Julierose

Mari said...

I am jealous of your summer weather! It is 22 degrees (-5C) at our house right now. Your red projects are looking good. I love the dogs!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I do a little mending but not a lot. I think I like most colors but some are not a favorite - like orange or lime green!

Linda said...

Love your Scottie dogs! I’ve been making Happy Blocks this week too. I envy your NZ sun and miss avoiding our cold winters by flying to the South Island from the UK.

grammajudyb said...

Good work on your “red”! The Scottie dogs are so cute! And your framed blocks will make a fun quilt. How does the charity use the drawstring bags? Are they filled with personal items? Just curious!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You are definitely on a roll with red, Jenny! I love your Scottie dogs and the square blocks, too. I've seen that style of bordered squares called Happy Blocks, and they do make a happy quilt!

Cathy said...

Oh, those Scottie dogs are so darn cute! Who wouldn’t love a quilt with them?! Like you, I do a lot of mending. And last week I even helped a neighbor friend with her belly dancing outfit. I’m still finding sequins in my sewing room!

Sara said...

Oh my! Those red plaid dogs are so adorable!!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
I love your Scottie Dogs...so cute, and I love
plaid, sadly, I don't have any left to do
anything with. I'll have to add that to my
Hobby Lobby list. Have a great day!

Maggie said...

Mending is something that is important. Family members knows how to get the mending top of the queue. They put the item that needs mending on top of my sewing machine. So it will get done, before other recreational projects get done. So true, by fixing, repurposing what we have, we need less. Dorothy gave you some treasures and those Scottie dogs will be a cute quilt when it is done. Have a wonderful day.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Mending is not something I enjoy, but I do mend when necessary. The Scottie blocks are adorable!

Jackie said...

Like you I mend, and also darn. I want to get the most for my dollar out of things and this is the best way to do so.

Love the Scotty dogs, so adorable in that plaid fabric. I don't mind red, but mostly use that colour for clothing.

God bless.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super cute RED block for the RSC, Jenny, and SEW sweet of you to make that little bag, too!

Angela said...

You have made great progress on a color that isn't your favorite. Great work on the mending as well, so easy to neglect that chore!

FlourishingPalms said...

You've made some really cute starts here. Those wee dogs are just adorable! It's wonderful to see how you're putting Dorothy's stash to good use. She would be proud of you. Quilters are always generous, and you're no exception.

Karen S said...

Lots of fun with your red stitching. The scottie dogs are especially cute.

Janice said...

I’ve just enjoyed catching up on your blog since you returned home. I can’t believe how many red blocks you have already made. I’m still dithering Yao’s to where to start. I don’t seem to have all that many red fabrics, which isn’t helping. Considering your health issue during 2021, your list of finishes is quite impressive. I hope you resurrect Rolling the Dice. It was always fun to see what you ended up working on.

Susie H said...

Great job, Jenny! That was a lot of mending and you deserved a little quilt-time. Those Scotties are so sweet!