Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, January 8, 2022

First RSC Sewing of the Year

We arrived back from holiday yesterday, and last night I could hardly wait to investigate my proposed RSC for the new year.  And today, I did make a start.  Late during the year I had started stitching some string blocks, so this will be carried over in 2022, until I catch up with the colours, or decide I have made enough.  It didn't take too long to make a red string block for January.

P1030372 

Red string block

P1030373

Six done so far

I received a bag of butterfly fabrics when my neighbour was moved into a rest home.  There were three multi coloured strips with a white background amongst the collection, so that's what I started with.  Four patch blocks with coloured strips, and the butterflies are all sort of colours will work as the months go by when the other colours are announced.  The blocks turned out quite pretty, I thought.   At the moment I’m thinking of white sashing when all the blocks are done for the year, but then again, I may well change my mind.

P1030371

Three butterfly blocks

Before I get too carried away on my 2022 RSC plans, I should really check the status of my 2021 projects.  The boat quilt is almost finished, just need to complete quilting the borders and add the binding.  As for the others, maybe I’ll just leave them in their bags without peeking at them for a little bit longer, after all, the weather here is so nice, I still feel I’m in holiday mode!

22 comments:

Maria said...

Good start to the RSC and the red strings look great with the others…
White would look good on the pretty butterfly blocks….
Hmm! I have last years RSC blocks sitting in a box , wonder when I’ll get around to making them into a quilt?

scraphappy said...

Off to a great start already with your red scraps. Enjoy your holiday mode! Its nice to be able to enjoy good weather when it happens.

Deb A said...

What cute butterfly blocks. Stay on holiday as long as you can =)

Ivani said...

I love string blocks, and you made a beautiful one, Jenny.
Looking forward for seeing what you decided about the butterflies blocks, they are cute so far. Welcome home.

maggie fellow said...

strings are always a good idea - butterflies will be cute

Julierose said...

Loving the red cross blocks--they are really pretty and, of course, love those string blocks, too --hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love string blocks - you've got a great collection there already! The pretty butterfly fabric is a fun find. I like the blocks you put together with it!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

glad you had a good time traveling and ready to get back to sewing.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely string blocks, and these butterflies are so cute!

Char said...

Great string blocks!

Kathy S. said...

Great progress on the red string blocks. String blocks are so much fun.

Linda said...

Love your butterfly blocks. Presumably you have quite a large amount of that fabric? Hope you enjoyed your holiday. Where did you go?

loulee said...

Some very pretty blocks. Your RSC quilts are going to be lovely.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice RED addition to your String block collection. LOVE those butterfly prints! They are going to make a darling quilt.

ButterZ said...

Oh Jenny. All your photos have come back so I have a lot of catching up to do. I’m off to do a bit of blog reading.

Jackie said...

Lovely blocks. I think the white slashing is the way to go, it would set off the colours of the butterflies and the red you used as well.

God bless.

FlourishingPalms said...

How nice of you to find a use for a friend's butterfly fabric stash! It's wonderful when a fellow quiltmaker takes on unused fabrics. Some of my quilt-y friends recently did that for me, and I really appreciate knowing they went to good use. Love your red string block. That's one of my favorite uses for fabric strips.

Cathy said...

Your red string block is gorgeous and looks so nice with the others! I always love and appreciate string blocks. And those butterfly blocks - cute fabrics and a great plan for using them! The colored strips is a great idea!! I enjoyed reading about your recent.caravan trip, visiting family (and trolls, haha). Life is good!

Susie H said...

I'm a sucker for string blocks and your red with the others is so pretty!!! The inherited butterfly fabrics are darling and are perfect for RSC sewing. A little handwork of binding is always nice for in the evenings. I would definitely wait on the other project bags since the weather there is nice. Time enough to dig into them when the days aren't near so pleasant. Have a great week!

Sandy Panagos said...

I'm really enjoying seeing what everyone is working on for their RSC blocks. You've made some great choices!

Karen S said...

These colour challenges have been a great idea over the years. You have come up with some lovely quilts.

Katie said...

The butterfly blocks are very pretty! I haven't tried making string blocks yet, though I do have a bin of strings. Hmmmm....