Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, January 3, 2022

Family Quilt Show

We were lucky to spend some more time with my late sister Kathleen's family before we moved on from Hawkes Bay.  After a lovely lunch of home cooked roast leg of lamb we retired to the sitting room for coffee.  There I spotted a cushion I had stitched for her some years ago.  Kathleen was a real homebody, and devoted to her family, so I thought the wording was quite apt.

P1030295

Made for Kathleen

Then one after another came a parade of quilts from the bedrooms.  The burgundy and cream cobblestone quilt was made for my niece  Lisa’s 40th birthday.  Sad but true – the burgundy fabrics came from a stash of a log cabin quilt I’m making for myself, and still haven’t finished!  Perhaps I can put it top of the list for my 2022 projects.

P1030296

40th  birthday quilt for Lisa

Kate then appeared with two hexagon quilts she has been stitching.  The pale one on the floor  she picked up from an Op Shop and has been adding to it, and the more colourful one she has been making from scratch.  Covering the papers, stitching them together, she finds it all very calming, she said.  Such a clever girl, I told her, I've never tacked hexagons myself, and I’m not sure if I would have the patience for it.

P1030297

Kate and her hexagons

The Adam came proudly bearing the train quilt I had made him many years ago now, when he was a boy.  It’s still going strong, I’m pleased to see, and yes, he does still put it on his bed during the winter, he said.  I remember carefully machine quilting around each and every train on that quilt, twisting and turning as I went, free motion quilting was unknown to me back then.   Perhaps I should offer to make him another one now he’s all grown up?

P1030298

Adam’s train quilt

When I was making the train quilt for Adam all those years ago, I was thinking that his young sister Kate could do with a new quilt too.  I already had a pink and black quilt I had put together from some blocks I had won, so decided to use that and add some  appliqued pink cats to it.  So here it us, well loved and washed, and  rather faded after all this time.

P1030303

And Kate just happened to have a photo of the time she was gifted this quilt.  Here she is, looking as cute as a button, all those years ago.

P1030304

Kate and her cat quilt

Next to appear was a Healing Heart quilt I had made for Kathleen, as she had many trips to hospital over the years,  I sent the heart blocks to family members t write on then assembled the hearths with nine patches.  I was rather moved to hear that Kathleen had this quilt with her during her final months.

P1030299

Healing Hearts for Kathleen

Another special quilt I had made for Kathleen and her husband Dennis was to celebrate their Golden Wedding.  I had done this using an assortment of floral fabrics and green, with golden yellow flowers to signify their special anniversary, to signify the garden of life.  It was made raggy style.  Oh dear, all that seam snipping took me ages!

P1030300P1030301

Golden Wedding quilt

Even more items came out, some I had forgotten about.  The baby quilt I had made for Kate, so faded through many washes.  Then there was the Family Tree wall-hanging I had stitched for the family, with all the names (at the time) written on the leaves.  And two specially birthday cushions, a white lace one for Lisa for a major birthday, and a 21st cushion for Kate with blue hearts, as she requested.  So many items stitched and gifted over the years, and I was heartened to see them so loved and well used.  That's all a quilter can ask for, isn't it?

13 comments:

Nancy J said...

A quilt that is so loved might be a little worn in many places, a bit faded, but all are testimony to the value of love and care in each one. What a parade, and a family gathering, with love and some sadness all combined.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I always tell people to use the quilts that I have made for them and that I will repair or replace any quilt that I have made that falls apart. So far, I only had to make two small repairs to a quilt made for a family member. So nice to see that your family loves and uses their quilts and other things that you have made for them. Lovely to have a visit with your sister’s family and share some memories.

Julierose said...

What lovely and well-loved quilts!! So wonderful to know that your quilts are cherished, isn't it? Hope the rest of your trip will be safe and fun hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is so lovely that they have your quilts and use them! sometimes I wonder what has happened to quilts gifted and then out of the blue someone will post a photo and I can see a corner of a quilt in it and know it is still be used. I have a set of 3 great nieces who surprised me once with photos of baby quilts I had made for them that they now use for their children. I had stopped making baby quilts as the family multiplies so rapidly and I couldn't keep up - rather than skip some of the children I just stopped altogether. That does happen in a family as large as mine

Rebecca said...

A family wrapped in love is the best gift you can have in todays world.
Thank you for sharing the love you created.

loulee said...

It's always good to know that our efforts are treasured. A tired quilt is one that has been used and loved.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Look at all those treasured quilts! Well done!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Heartwarming!!!

Jackie said...

How wonderful that your gifts of love are so treasured. I can tell from the smiles on your relatives faces that they know how much time you put into making each and everyone of them.

God bless.

Janice said...

There is nothing better than seeing quilts made with love being used and appreciated. It must have warmed your heart.

Connie said...

Because there is so much love and work that is put into each quilt they are true treasures. My sister-in-law gave me a quilt that belonged to my Steve when he was a little boy. It has become my cuddle quilt each night when I watch TV. It has a few places in it that I need to mend, but I love it. I know he slept and dreamed his little boy and teenage dreams under it and it brings me so much comfort. Quilts are like old worn out teddy bears, they become more loved and precious with years.
Her hexi quilt is amazing :)

Karen S said...

That must have been fun to see all the quilts.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a wonderful post, Jenny, in so many ways. How nice to find out your quilty gifts have been so loved - and held up too over time. Each uniquely suited to the person and the situation. Memories Btw, I think if you have patience for embroidery then you can stitch hexies. Those are gorgeous colours.