Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, June 27, 2021

Knitting Socks

It’s mid winter here in New Zealand, in fact we have just passed the shortest day of the year.  So it seems fitting that I have been knitting warm wooly socks lately.  I knit my socks on two needles, finished with a seam up on side.  Here they are showing those tricky heels all done, ready to start on the foot.

P1020301

This thick wool knits up very quickly, and it wasn’t too long until they were finally completed and the seams stitched up.

P1020371

To keep my toes cozy for winter

See those cream accents?  I used up the last remaining wool left over from when I knitted my wool cardigan, finally completed in 2019.  There's a bit of a story about this cream 12ply wool.  I purchased it many years ago when my two grand-daughters were young, with the aim to make them a cable jumper each.  That didn’t happen, so I decided to knit it up for myself.  This pattern is knitted in one piece for the fronts and back, not something I had done before.  All the knitting was finished, the sleeves, collar and front bands too, and then it got put away again – the story of my life!   It finally got completed at long last, and is so lovely and cozy to wear on the cold winter days.

P1280675

I’ve started another pair of warm wool socks again, this time in blue. As well as a pair of “secret socks” for my grand daughter using fine 4ply wool – she had asked me for a pair so I couldn’t refuse, could I?  The fine wool socks take me so long to knit, and are good to take on long car journeys as mindless knitting, I find.

P1020390

A new pair of socks on the go

Sadly I’ve found that after my spinal surgery, sitting at the sewing machine (even for short periods of time) causes me back pain, probably because I tend to lean forward over the machine.  So I’m having a break from the machine for a while – so frustrating as there is such a lot I want to get on with.  But better to be safe than sorry, and I can spend more time on my knitting and hand stitching while sitting in my comfy chair.

20 comments:

Janice said...

How frustrating not being able to sit at your machine, but as you say, better to get fully recovered. At least you have hand stitching and knitting that you enjoy.

Nancy J said...

I see there is flooding in Levin, and Tuesday morning will be very chilly. Great idea to do both socks together, turning the heel, once that is done all on the homeward straight or is that strait? I still have the sets of 5 fine needles my grandma used way back in the 1935 to 1944 or so, well worn at the tips, I can still see her, white hair in a little bun at the top, long frock, buttoned short boots, and knitting as she listened to the radio, maybe in about 1949??? Probably not socks for the soldiers, but singlets for me, and a little bag on a crochet cord to hold the camphor block to ward off a cold.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I wonder if you can adjust the height of the table where you sew to make it more ergonomic? Maybe that would help with your back pain. I have a custom made sewing cabinet that has erased all back and neck pain for me. I have been in three car accidents causing whiplash injuries so being able to sew without pain is important. Those look like very cozy socks! Nice that the strip matches your favourite sweater!

ButterZ said...

A break knitting is good too. I love knitted socks. My friend made me some and I love coming home from work, getting on my pj’s and pulling on my socks. So comfy. I will have to get some more.

loulee said...

I've only ever made socks on double ended pins. Very frustrating and not at all mindless.
Look after your back.

Maggie said...

Taking the time to heal is always the best way forward. Your socks and jumper looks amazing. The Sewing machine will be waiting for you when you are ready to sew again. Enjoy your knitting!

Julierose said...

Lovely socks and sweater; sorry about your not being able to sit at your machine. Glad you can sit and knit though...that is a help...hope you are getting a bit stronger each day ;))
Hugs, Julierose

CathieJ said...

It is so frustrating to have to curtail activities that you enjoy. I know how you feel. I have a whole bunch of fabric to cut for my daughter's quilt, but I can't use both arms unless they are close to my body. I love your sweater! I am so glad that you finally finished it for yourself. Your socks are great. I have yet to try knitting socks. I like the blue yarn. Take care. I hope your back continues to get better. Keep warm.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it takes awhile to heal from surgery especially something like your back. You just need time to heal. Are you getting any kind of physical therapy? I don't understand how you do socks the way you are - how do you get the heels that way? But then I haven't figured out socks done anyway still LOL

Maria said...

Even though you can’t do any machine sewing for awhile you’ve knitted up some lovely warm socks with another pair on the way.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Warm woolly socks are the best! Next December, when you are in the summer and I am in the winter, I will probably be knitting socks, too. I like to do mine in the round, though. On 5 needles usually or sometimes magic loop. I want to learn to make argyle socks, though - so seams are in my future.

Hope your back mends post surgery, send healing thoughts your direction.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Great job on the socks and the cardigan. Sitting at the machine can wait until it’s comfortable again. I tend to hunch and lean over at the machine, too, so I need to work on my sewing posture.

Karrin Hurd said...

I hope your back starts feeling better soon. Your knitting projects are lovely!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your socks are wonderful! I would like to learn that craft one of these days. I'm so glad you are able to knit while you recuperate from your surgery!

Quilter Kathy said...

Those socks do look very warm and cozy!
Knitting is the perfect way to recover!

Kim said...

Lots of lovely knitting going on there, Jenny, to keep you warm. It certainly is the season for it. Is it as cold there as it is here??=) Love those socks; the cream stripes and toes look great. I am sorry you cannot sit at the sewing machine. Much better to sit in a comfy chair and knit away while you recuperate. Hoping your back heals with each day. Please take care.

Jackie said...

I hope you get to sit at your machine again soon. I have noticed that my back hurts more now when I sew so can only do so for short periods of time with plenty of walking in between sessions.

Love the socks.

God bless.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Your socks and cardigan look so cosy! Hope the rest does your back good and you can get back to sewing soon.

Karen S said...

I think the socks and cardigan will get a lot of use this Winter. Definitely a cold one!
I am pleased you can still knit and the rest will mean you will get back to sewing eventually.

HEATHER B said...

Hi Jenny missing you at sew wots lately and hope you are improving daily. Love see ing the blogs and know you are keeping up with your knitting and slow stitching. Its been very cold here of late but lovely sunny days. Keep well and see you soon? cheers Heather B