Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, July 4, 2021

A Little Slow Stitching

It’s been quite a slow week all round as far as slow stitching goes.  All I’ve got to show for it is working on my Bonnie Sullivan pre-printed Christmas designs.  I’ve been stitching lots of little red holly berries along the panel.  When all the stitching is complete I have to decide whether to assemble each one as little cushions to hang off a wreath, or maybe make a small wall-hanging.

P1020400

Stitching red berries

I’ve also been doing some sock knitting, and have two pair on the go.  A thick blue pair for me, and a much finer 4ply pair of “secret socks” for my grand daughter.  Today I’m wearing my favourite pair of hand knitted socks, pretty in pink and lilac, they are keeping my toes nice and warm.  This sock wool sells for about $30 a ball here in New Zealand, so they are not cheap at all.  But I loved knitting them and seeing the colours emerge, and love wearing them too, so it was well worth the cost.

P1020398

My favourite socks

It’s just as well I had plenty of hand knitted wooly socks in my drawer last week when the polar blast from Antarctica  rolled up the country.  This week we have had some lovely calm and sunny days, cooler temps starting with frosty mornings.  Thank goodness for the heat pump.  There is a sprinkling of snow on the Tararua Ranges behind our home, no doubt there will be heavier falls as the winter season continues.

25 comments:

ButterZ said...

I have 2 pairs of socks my friend knitted for me. I love wearing them

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Those socks look awful warm and are so pretty. And love your applique work. Have a blessed Sunday

loulee said...

Your wee panels are very cute.

Sarah said...

That's a very sweet little Christmas panel. I love doing French knots so this is right up my street! I can see why you love those socks so much, they do look very cozy!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Polar blasts aren't not fun whether they come from Antarctica or the Arctic! I'm sure the cold weather has been inspiration for your Christmas stitching, except it's not cold when you have Christmas. Those are a lot of tiny little berries, happy stitching and knitting!

Ivani said...

Owo lovely Christmas embroidery, they will make a cute wall-hanging. Love it.
Your socks looks warm and cozy, This week the polar blast arrivers here too and there was frosting in the mornings. Take care of yourself and have a wonderful week.

Julierose said...

Nice work on those cozy socks!! Cute berries on that panel--nice to hear that you are doing a bit of stitching again..hugs Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your socks look great and warm too - and here I put little short socks on when I exercise and go barefoot the rest of the time - summer heat is here

CathieJ said...

Your socks look warm and cozy. I like that preprinted piece that you are working on. Stay warm!

The Cozy Quilter said...

You need warm and cozy socks when it is cold outside! I have a few pairs made by friends. I’m not ready to tackle making socks yet! The red berries add a nice detail to your Christmas project. Have a great week.

Kate said...

Handmade socks are wonderful. My mom used to knit socks for my dad - we got mittens. ^^ I'm not much of a knitter and knitting with 4 needles was beyond my capability. I like your Christmas stitching and look forward to seeing how you decide to finish them off. Keep warm.

Angela said...

Such a cute Christmas panel. Have fun stitching on it!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Hand-knit socks are the best! Wool sock yarn is priced similarly here, but occasionally a bargain can be found.

Deb A said...

Love the colors in your socks! Stay warm.

Quilter Kathy said...

Sounds like you need those lovely hand knit socks to stay warm these days!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are sweet little Christmas designs to work on! Love your socks, too. They are much more fun to wear than store-bought!

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely stitching, and what great socks! Hope you have a great week!

Nicky said...

Its bizarre that we live in a country full of woolley animals and we pay such exorbitant prices for wool. I love your socks 😍

Janice said...

Your favourite socks are so pretty. I still haven’t tried knitting sock, but have a ball of yarn waiting in the wings for the right moment. Enjoy working on the next pairs.

Jackie said...

Oooh, I love the colour of those socks. Woolly socks on cold days are the absolute best.

I think a wall hanging using those stitcheries would be wonderful. Though small cushions hung on a wreath would be nice as well.

God bless.

digitizing embroidery said...

These socks are really good to wear to make it feel more confront in winter.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Thoroughly enjoyed my little catch up with you this morning, Jenny. Wow, that wool is posh so yes must feel divine to the skin.
Enjoyed seeing some of your wintry works on the go as it were. Enjoy all your knitting now while sipping hot soup and keeping your toes nice and warm in hand knit socks!

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm glad to see you're able to do some handwork. Your stitching and knitting are so nice. Hopefully you're feeling content to do these things (rather than nothing!) and are on the mend. Rest for healing.

Karen S said...

The little stitcheries are gorgeous.
And I agree, you need those warm socks at the moment.

Maria said...

Lovely Christmas stitcheries and I think they’d make a nice wall hanging….
Gorgeous cosy socks….