Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, July 15, 2021

A Couple of Firsts

It was an exciting morning today, when I drove the car down to an appointment, after not driving for several months because of my back problems.  Just a short drive, but very successful.  I had an appointment with my oncologist as a follow up on my breast cancer five years ago, all remaining well, I’m pleased to say.  And I’m forever grateful to the wonderful Dr Claire, as she was the one who ordered me an MRI which pin pointed my compressed spinal cord condition, and then referred me to the neurosurgical team.

The other first was a trip to the supermarket, something I hadn't been able to manage for quite some time.  All I can say is that I’m pleased I had my walker to get around on, and I really needed a cuppa and a lie down when we got back home!  While I had been absent from supermarket duties over the last couple of months the shop has had quite a makeover, with all fridges and freezers replaced.  And just to keep the shoppers on their toes, many items are not where they used to be, now placed somewhere completely different.

I decided that now was a good time to get my sewing machine serviced, as I was having a little trouble sitting comfortably at the machine.  So my Bernina has been away in the care of Barry, and will come back soon as good as new after the annual service.

So while it has been away, I’ve been cutting fabric for a couple of new projects, and done a little more knitting.  There are a couple of cot quilts I need to get pinned up reading for machine quilting, but I don’t think my back is quite up at all that bending and stretching just yet.  I’ve also rediscovered my stitchery projects – there were four of these tucked away in the bag.  Two for gifts and two for me, so I really should get busy and get the two gift projects finished.

Another trip was to get our second Covid vaccination.  We were warned that some people will get a reaction, rather like flu symptoms, but both of us were fine.  There, all done now but…….. we heard on the news that maybe a third dose will be needed later on, we will have to wait and see.  Not that we will have a problem with that, in fact, I imagine the Covid jab will probably become an annual vaccination, just like the flu jab we get each year.

After long last we are going away for a weekend caravan club rally, it’s been a while since we were able to attend.  Robin is champing at the bit, he really enjoys his time away in the caravan.  And it will be a nice change of scene for Gemma as well, she is a well seasoned caravan cat indeed.  Meanwhile, she has been tucked up inside  keeping herself warm while the rain is coming down in buckets.

P1020409

Curled up on her cat tower

13 comments:

Nancy J said...

That is such good news, and yesterday Hugh asked me when I would drive again???? After I get new lenses I think. And such a good time for Barry to work his magic. Each time mine comes back I marvel at the million or so stitches since the previous check up. Supermarket shopping, when items are moved it is a real problem to locate them somewhere else. The wide aisles in the Feilding branch suit Hugh so much better than our narrower ones.

ButterZ said...

Good on you for getting out and about.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm so glad you've gotten your 2nd vaccination shot. I think too that we'll be getting annual covid boosters, just like the flu shot we get every fall. It's so nice you're able to drive again, just take it easy and don't overdo. Happy stitching on your hand projects!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm so glad that you are getting around so much better and life will soon be back to normal for you. I don't know what it is about supermarkets but they do that here too - One week I told Mike they are going to start to move things around in the store I could tell by how they were working and sure enough the other day I went in to shop and one whole section of the store was totally reorganized. I couldn't find anything and the workers didn't know where anything was either. I now I need to go back in today to find somethings that I couldn't find and gave up on and bet more of it will be moved! Have a nice time camping

Karen S said...

All these firsts are great signs of the progress you are making. Lovely to see you getting out and about. Stay warm.

Lyndsey said...

Great news about your follow up appointment and that you are tackling driving and supermarket shopping after your back surgery. It's good to be slowly getting back to your normal activities. I'm sure Gemma will be happy that her human parents are starting to behave more like their usual selves and taking a caravan trip.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Congratulations on your successful outings and medical checkup. One of the grocery stores I shop also decided to move items around: it’s like a scavenger hunt to find the things on my list.

Astrid said...

So glad you are out and about again! It feels good, doesn't it? Take it easy, don't overdo! I hate it when supermarkets start moving things around, they do here too. I believe it has to do with what sells well and not so well. Have a nice caravan trip!

Janice said...

I’m glad your driving went well. A little bit if independence. It is perfect timing to have your sewing machine given a spa treatment. It should work a treat when you are ready to do some quilting. Enjoy working on your stitcheries.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Yes, I can imagine how great it felt to get out and about again, Jenny. Progressing well with care and so happy for you that you now have that behind you. It will keep feeling better and better and sewing machine time will come too. A caravan trip! Now that is something to look forward to. Enjoy it all you two!

FlourishingPalms said...

It's good to hear how you're doing, and I'm glad for you to be able to get out for a little bit for a change of scenery. Of course you know that grocery stores change-up arrangements on purpose... so you might go to a spot where you expect to see something in particular, but you come across something different that you might possibly toss into your grocery cart. It's all part of the big marketing plan, don't you know? :-) I'm glad you've been fully vaccinated now, though it doesn't sound like either Kiwis or Aussies are able to get out much. I don't understand that, but will continue to hope that vaccinations gradually increase your abilities to return to normal. Here, we're acting as we did in 2019, and it's great!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

That is great news on your doctor's appointment and sounds like you are building up your strength. Hope you get your sewing machine back soon. Have a wonderful weekend.

Maria said...

Great to be able to drive again and pleased all went well at doctors…..
Good time to have your machine severed…
Enjoy your trip away in the van….