I was getting near the end of machine quilting Summer Kites, it just needed some more quilting in the blank spaces surrounding each kite. But what to do? In the end I decided to straight line quilt this way and that as suggested by the nine patches in the kite block.
Blocks all quilted
With the borders quilted, and the binding attached, I turned the binding over and pinned it all down. Really, I reminded myself, I must invest in some of those binding clips which everyone except seems to use, one day. Then I was all ready to sit and hand stitch the binding down to the back side of the quilt in the evening, keeping Robin company as he was engrossed in a rugby game on TV. And got this last job done in the evening, thank goodness.
I’d rather be stitching than watch sport on TV
So here it is, Summer Kites, all finished. Rather a long winded UFO, if I do say so. I took part in a BOM competition way back in 1995, and won half of the blocks. The pale blue fabric was supplied, and it was suggested that we incorporate spots, stripes, or checks in our block. After the excitement of the win, they were put away and forgotten about till earlier this year, when they were rediscovered, and added to my List of Six. I received ten blocks back, and made two extra to make a three by four block setting. Luckily I had purchased a little extra of the background fabric way back then. The kite blocks make a nice cot sized quilt, and I will tuck it away until a baby boy quilt is needed.