Finally finished - another UFO bites the dust! The binding has been hand stitched down, and I’ve added a label. So my beautiful quilt is completed at last, has been taken outside for a few photos, and is now at home on the bed in our caravan.
Hearts in Bloom, on the caravan bed
This quilt was always going to be a caravan quilt. I have very happy memories of stitching each block while travelling around in our caravan on Summer Safaris with a group of friends. We would travel in the mornings, do a little sight seeing, then relax later in the day under a shady tree, with a cup of coffee and my stitching. The flowers and leaves were then coloured using fabric pens. The floral designs were “12 Days of Redwork”, designed by Alex Anderson. I then put the embroidered blocks together with 9 patch alternate blocks in pink and green.
The pattern was 12 Days of Redwork
Next was an applique border, using large green ric-rac in place of a vine, with appliqued flowers and leaves. And I needed an extra border to complete the quilt, and decided on checkerboard in mixed burgundies. More by a stroke of good luck rather than any particular skill on my part, the side borders fitted exactly down each side of the quilt top.
Ric rac border and checkerboards
My finished top then took a trip to Taupo to be expertly machine quilted by Razzle Dazzle Quilter, Linda. And what a wonderful job she did – I am absolutely thrilled with her skills. There is beautiful freehand McTavishing and pebbles around the applique border.
And beautiful feathers around each floral block. This is the first quilt that Linda has done for me and it certainly won’t be the last.
Linda’s beautiful quilting
Arty shot on the back fence