Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Binding and Baking

I was pleased to have a day at home after all the rushing here and there lately to work on the Memory Quilt I’m making for a friend.  The machine quilting was finally completed, so it was time for the binding.  Looking through my stash earlier, I had selected some green batik for the binding, which would tone in nicely with the caravan print borders.  Sliced it into lengths which I stitched together, and pressed in half, I was good to go.

PB270048 The binding prepared

Using my walking foot, I soon had the binding stitched around most of the edge.  But then came the tricky part………..for the life of me I just couldn’t work out how to correctly measure and pin that last seam to finish off the binding.   I know, I know, I’ve done it before, but this technique always seems to fox me.  But Mr Google knows everything and after I had typed in “how to join quilt binding”  it all became clear again.  Will I remember next time?  Who knows – but I do know how to find the answer again.  Is it just me, or do others have this problem too?  I’m one step closer to completion.  Next job is to fold the binding over, and hand stitch it all in place.  Then I’ll just  need to make a hanging sleeve and a label.

PB270050 Binding stitched on

Don’t know what’s happening to the weather but today turned out to be cold, wet and windy, and we can hear the wind whistling around the front of the house.  Just the sort of weather that a nice warming steak and kidney casserole will be just right for our evening meal.  It just seems so strange to be cooking winter warming comfort food at this time of the year, after all, its practically summer.  While I was busy in the kitchen doing all that chopping, dicing and browning the meat as I prepared the casserole, I thought I might as well do some baking too.  There was a new lemon slice recipe  I’d been waiting to try, and I made a batch of afghan biscuits too.  When the afghans had cooled down it was a team effort - I slathered them with chocolate icing and Robin helped too as he  topped each one with a walnut half.  So that’s how I spent my day today.

PB270001 Chocolate afghan biscuits, yummy

No comments: