Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Movie Time, and Books

 I was really keen to go and see the movie "The Heart of the Beast" and my daughter Nicky said she was interested too.  She drove down to Levin, collected me from home, we had time for a quick lunch at the movie complex, with the film starting at 1.00pm.  This was the first time I had seen a Brad Pitt movie, but after seeing the shorts on TV, decided I really must go and see it.  The story is set in Alaska, but it was filmed in rugged parts of the South Island, New Zealand.  And the German Shepherd dogs in the film, Dad and sons, were New Zealand born and bred too, so there is quite a NZ connection. 

"After a harrowing plane crash, Special Forces Officer James Belmont and his combat dog Odin, find themselves stranded deep in the Alaskan wilderness.  Together, they are forced into a brutal fight for survival against the elements.  From acclaimed film maker David Ayer, Heart of the Beast is an intense adventure thriller that explores the unbreakable bond between a man and his best friend as they face their greatest battle yet".

I certainly did enjoy this film, as the pair face wild animals, the unforgiving and dangerous terrain, and their own demons.  

I always like to have several books waiting for me to read, in fact I get withdrawal symptons when I run out of books.  I found a Vera book I hadn't read, they are always interesting, and just like the TV series, always have a twist in the story.  I hadn't worked out who the murderer was!  And I love anything to do with Tudor times, and have a book here at home by Alison Weir about the Tudor Queens.  But is is non fiction, and a bit dry to read.  Alison Weir has now written this series of novels about the Tudor Queens, and this one is about Katherine Howard, a young girl who becomes wife number five, whose past comes back to haunt her and  sadly didn't last very long at all.  Really enjoyable, so now I will have to find the other books in the series at the library.


I love books!


No comments: