Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, October 4, 2026

Spring Forward, and a Knitting Finish

It was time to turn the clocks forward last weekend for daylight saving.  Luckily the lap top, tablet and cell phone are clever enough to do it all by themselves.  That left the bedside clock, my watch,  and the wall clock in the kitchen for me to deal with.  The clock in the car doesn't get done, much too hard for me, and I decided not to change the clock on the stove, I don't use that to check the time at all.   Down came "Welcome Winter" and up went "Hello Spring" it it's place.  The Spring season is very changeable here in New Zealand.  Yesterday was a horrible cold wet day, just right for soup for lunch, and sitting inside with the heat pump keeping me warm all day, doing some stitching and knitting.  But today was warm, calm and sunny, such a difference, nice enough to hang the washing outside in the sun shine.

Hello Spring

I started knitting my summer cotton jumper late last year, after finding four balls of pretty slub cotton knitting yarn.  With just four balls to work with, I purchased a couple of balls of pale pink cotton to add as stripes.  After knitting part of the back four times in various widths of stripes to make sure I had enough of the slub cotton, I settled on two rows of each.  Finally, I was on the way.



Two rows of each yarn

I've been knitting steadily over the year, putting it in time out  to knit baby hats and socks.  Then it was a last push to knit the short sleeves, sew the shoulder sleeves up, and knit the neck band.  Then sew the other seams.  Not easy with some of those nobbles at the ends of the rows.


Pinning and stitching, matching the stripes

Finally my summer jumper was all finished, I'm really pleased with it.  Not an easy knit at all, there is no "give" in cotton yarn, unlike wool, so I don't plan on knitting a cotton garment again.


All done

This was knitted with quite a loose tension, so I'll have to be very careful washing and make sure I dry it flat so it doesn't stretch at all.  I'm looking forward to wearing my new summer top when the weather warms up a little bit more.


I have to take my own photo in the mirror these days

No comments: