Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, January 27, 2024

Not another new RSC Project, surely?

The  Rainbow Scrap Challenge colour for January is green, and I thought I had already completed my RSC stitching this month.  But another project sneaked in.  Hiding in plain sight was a bag of 2.5in squares, and I had thinking of doing a project I had seen in blogland, but that didn't happen.  To be quite honest, I don't really like working with little squares, and was considering donating the bag to the Op Shop.

Perhaps I'll do something with them after all, I thought.  So I rummaged through the bag, pulled out all the soft green squares I could find, and stitched up some green hollow nines.  I had admired this block on RSC last year, so thought, why not do some myself, and use up some of the never ending squares.

I'm jumping on the Hollow Nines bandwagon

As it is green month, it seemed a good opportunity to work on a green UFO which was hanging around.  There were a couple to choose from and I selected a green and lemon hued cot quilt top I had made from 5 inch squares.  It wont take me too long to machine quilt this, I imagined.  Well, as it happens, I'm still working on it, so it wont be finished this week.  But I'm getting there, hope to finish it shortly.  


Working on the green cot quilt

As well as time spent at the sewing machine, we went out to check on a newly opened cafe this week.  Robin and I are part of a friendship group which meets monthly for lunch, and my turn to organise a day out is coming up soon.  I had actually been there for coffee just prior to Christmas, but not for a meal.  So we drove to Foxton to have morning tea and check out the lunch menu.  

The lunch menu looked fine, with plenty of cabinet food available too, for those who would prefer something lighter.  I was delighted to find Ginger Gems in the cabinet, who can remember these?  One of my favourites, but seldom seen these days.  They are the sort of thing made by grannies using  heavy gem irons a generation or two ago.  Mine was delicious, as was the coffee.  So yes, we will bring our friends here for my lunch outing shortly.


Morning Tea at Foxton

So that's what I have been doing this week.  Our hot spell has finally broken with rain all day today, not too heavy, just falling steadily over several hours.  I'm sure the farmers love rain like this.

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks like a nice place for coffee and cakes

Julierose said...

I also like those hollw nines--your light green ones are looking great...
Glad you enjoyed your luncheon meeting with friends...hugs, Julierose

Jackie said...

I am always amazed at how you can find exactly the colour to be worked on for your various projects.

Those green blocks are lovely.

God bless.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those pesky new projects definitely have a way of sneaking themselves in! I like the Hollow Nines blocks, too, and yours are pretty in green. The top made of green and lemon squares is a pretty one, too! Looks you found a nice new cafe to visit with friends.

Connie said...

I love all the pretty green fabric you have. It really speaks of springtime. I realize our seasons are just the opposite and spring is right around the corner for us but over for you.
I agree working with little two and a half inch squares is not my favorite thing to do either. It's very tedious for my hands because of my arthritis. I just finished a quilt top that I need to get sandwiched together and start quilting on as well.
Happy quilting my friend and God bless.

Karen S said...

Great work again on your greens. The blocks and the quilt are looking good.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I love those greens and the sashing is setting them off perfectly! What a wonderful and delicious sounding place for a lunch. I'll have to look up Gems.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Good idea to make those scrappy squares into hollow nine patches. Now they'll be something useful! I love the cot quilt, green and yellow is such a rest from pink and blue and good for any gender. I also appreciate seeing how everybody quilts, especially the pin basting. I'm getting tired of paying a fortune for basting spray, especially when it doesn't work as well with the poly batting. Now I'm going to look up ginger gems on google. Have a great week!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I've been thinking of Hollow Nines, as well, but won't be making RSC blocks this year. Best of luck on finishing up your scrappy GREEN quilt, Jenny!

Janice said...

Yum, that cafe looks very nice. I have a gem iron and very occasionally make some gem scones. You did well to get so much done with your green fabrics. It will be a good way to use those little squares