Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, January 7, 2024

Holiday Knitting and Stitching

My knitting and stitching bags have come  away with me on our caravan trip.  I like to do easy knitting on car trips and I’m working on my blue socks.  Once past those tricky heels, the foot portion is all straight knitting till I reach the toes so doesn't need too much concentration.

P1050359

Sock knitting in the car

Summer holidays means sitting outside under the shady awning working on my stitchery.  I’ve spent several pleasant hours working on one of my Christmas Kiwi blocks, and have now completed the kiwi and the BBQ.  That’s two finished, and two more to go, but I’m not in a hurry for this.

P1050456

Kiwi cooking on the BBQ

Our caravan friends Helen and Owen came to join us for several days here at Napier.   I went out with Helen and her family to visit the Sunflower Farm on their Open Day.  So many people had the same idea, all vying for a car park.  We joined the hordes of people all walking up  the path, getting up close and personal amongst the tall, nodding sunflowers.  I had never seen so many, and everyone was entranced with them.  It was free entry to wander amongst the flowers, and when leaving the sales table was very busy with customers.  At $2.00 a stem, two sun flowers came back with me.

P1050458

Helen and Jenny amongst the sunflowers

I’ve finally purchased some cherries,  I love summer cherries, so I’ll really enjoy these.  Robin doesn't care for them, so I’ll get to eat them all myself!

P1050455

Cherries for me

There’s just a couple of days to go on this trip, then we will start heading home again. 

19 comments:

Kim said...

Those socks are looking lovely, Jenny. The sunflowers are entrancing. A lovely photo of you and your friend with those stunning sunflowers in the background. Enjoy the cherries. Great you don't have to share them. =)

Gretchen Weaver said...

The sock colors are so pretty. The sunflowers are beautiful and sweet cherries, yum, yum!

The Cozy Quilter said...

It doesn’t look like you need warm socks there right now! You are having lovely weather on your trip! The sunflowers are so pretty. I’m the only one in our house who likes cherries too. Safe travels home.

CathieJ said...

I love the yarn you are using for your socks. That sunflower farm is so pretty! I like the fun kiwi at the BBQ. I love cherries. Now my mouth is watering, but it is winter here. Sigh... Enjoy your caravan trip!

linda said...

It sounds lovely sitting in lovely warm weather knitting socks and stitching. It's cold grey and dreary here right now. How nice to have your friends come join you, that's a lovely photo of you both I would frame it. Have a great Sunday.x

Julierose said...

Great sunflower picture--love your hat--;))) I am a hat person myself...especially since i freckle-up in the sun...
Your variegated sock yarn is so pretty...I unearthed some deep win variegated yarn and hope to be able to make socks this year...everyone is asking for a pair!!
Hugs, Julierose

FlourishingPalms said...

You're doing the most pleasant things while caravaning. That picture of you and your friend among the sunflowers is so cheerful. Really pretty! And cherries. Yum. Continue to enjoy your travels!

Helenchaffin said...

What a fun trip! I luv going to the sunflower fields, we also have a tulip festival close by,the blue socks are going to be awesome!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

wow love those sunflowers

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Look at those sunflowers - they're gorgeous! Hope you're enjoying your caravan trip, Jenny. The knitting and the kiwis look like the perfect projects for a summer holiday!

Maggie said...

We love our cherries in the summer and the sunflowers. We plant them and buy them over the summer when we can at the farmers market. Your socks looks great and it is wonderful to get away and enjoy trips to new places.

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely projects you are working on. Love, love, love the sunflowers, and your picture!

Jackie said...

Sunflowers always make me smile. Here on the prairies of Saskatchewan they are grown for their oil.

God bless.

scraphappy said...

Knitting socks is a perfect take along project. What beautiful sunflowers!

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

I like socks as a 'portable' project too. Several interesting bits with the heels, gussets and toes but tons of 'mindless' knitting in between.

Where I live in Kansas is known for our sunflowers, but the ones where you visited are giving us a run for our money LOL. There's nothing that says 'summer' better than sunflowers and fresh fruit!

Your Kiwi is SO CUTE. Safe travels!

Lyndsey said...

The sunflowers are amazing and make me feel so happy. I haven't knitted socks for years but I can still remember getting in a muddle with the heel and my mother helping to sort it out.

Maria said...

The socks look lovely and the BBQ kiwi is cute.
Great photo with Helen in front of the beautiful tall 🌻 sunflowers 🌻.
I’m sure you’ve enjoyed those cherries.

Karen S said...

Beautiful weather to be away. Love the yarn in your knitting and the kiwi block is gorgeous.
Those sunflowers are stunning!

dq said...

Your stitches look so perfect!