Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, January 13, 2024

New Year for Rainbow Scrap Challenge

 For several years now, I've enjoyed taking part in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, run by Angela of So Scrappy.  I've got a backlog of RSC projects still to be completed from the last year or two, so didn't want to commit to too many projects this year.  So I've decided to work on three easy blocks sets.  Tucked away I found a set of girly four patch blocks I had stitched previously, plus some colourful pirate squares for a boys I had cut out all ready to go.  These would both be bordered, I decided, and the colour this month is green.


Four patch and pirates



Four patch blocks bordered in green



Pirates, bordered in green

As I've still got plenty of 5 inch novelty squares tucked away, I'm also making more Happy Blocks, this one using some of the many girly squares I have.   What did I find?  Leaves, butterflies, swirls, birdhouses, creepy critters in the undergrowth and sheep!  That's a good start.


Happy blocks for a girl

With keeping to these simple blocks I'm hoping to get time to get some previous unfinished projects over the finish line this year.  Have to admit that I'm quite concerned to have so many RSC UFOs.  Wish me luck, please.


14 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Making charity quilts is a great way to use up your scraps. I have started one RSC quilt for 2024. I would like to figure out another one. There is an endless supply of scraps in my stash!

Julierose said...

Oh best of luck finishing!! I haven't joined in RSC this year as I have so many unfinished objects that I need to work on! :0000
We had 3" of rain overnight and now we are in a dense fog bank...strange weather for Winter...
Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is nice to stick to easy block sets when you want to do more than one RSC - I always end up picking ones that are harder and take more time then I intend.

maggie fellow said...

green makes a great frame for your blocks - win win

Sara said...

A very good option for those pieces. I’ve been making 4-patches too, but haven’t framed them yet as i know there are not nearly enough to be useful.

Susie H said...

I think finishing up your previous RSC quilts is a great goal. The fact that you are using previously made 4-patches is also a good clean-up project. Great start to the new year!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your blocks have lots of cute prints for kids in them! I really love the pirates and that fun green you've bordered them in. Happy sewing!

grammajudyb said...

I understand about the unfinished! Some are too big for me to quilt myself, and using a professional quilter is costly. So one at a time they will get done! And so will yours! Best of luck.

Mari said...

Great start to the RSC, with all those interesting fun prints. Wishing you good luck with finiahing up those RSC quilts! I think a bunch of us have the same problem!

Jackie said...

Wishing you luck in getting those RCS quilts completed this year.

God bless.

FlourishingPalms said...

You're on the right path! Set yourself a plan to sew RSC blocks and you'll be well on your way to finishes. You've got some pretty starts here. I like the way you're using greens, a color that isn't often a focal choice. Nice work!

Lyndsey said...

Such pretty blocks, great idea. Good luck on finishing some of your previous RCS quilts

loulee said...

Lovely blocks Jenny. I'm sure you will find time to finish some of your older RSC tops.

Karen S said...

That is a great way to use up stash and meet the colour challenge. Very smart.