Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, December 3, 2023

Slow Stitching Sunday

It’s a good day to spend inside today, it’s been raining all day.  Mother Nature is a bit tardy as the season has changed over to Summer, so where’s the sunshine?.  My slow Sunday stitching is coming along well, and I have now finished my first block of four of a cheeky Kiwi enjoying his Christmas Summer holidays.   Kiwi is camping in his Kombi van, cooking over the camp fire.  Yes, we celebrate Christmas in the Summer season here in New Zealand.

P1050075

Kiwi cooking his dinner

I’m also stitching up a pair of birthday socks.  These were finished a couple of months ago, too late for the birthday girl unfortunately, so I’ll keep them for next year.  Knitted in home spun double knit with 4ply sock yarn, they will be nice and cozy.

P1050071

Secret birthday socks

With Christmas fast approaching, it’s time to get some festive quilts out.  This one is “All the Love of Christmas”, a Bronwyn Hayes design, and is hanging above one of the sofas.

P1050077

All the Love of Christmas

I also placed a Christmas quilt across the back of the other sofa.  This as yet unnamed quilt was a Secret Santa Sew Along I found on the internet several years ago, but I didn't take a note of the  name of the designer.

P1050078

Another Christmas quilt

Robin has been up in the loft for me to retrieve several Christmas crates, so I’ll be putting some smaller Christmas quilts and ornaments out soon.  Although we are usually away in the caravan and seldom home over Christmas, I still like to get my special treasures out to make the room look nice and festive.  How is your Christmas decorating coming along?

15 comments:

linda said...

I love your Christmas quilt and your block is so sweet I love the story behind it. I like to bring my past christmas makes down from the loft at the beginning of December and add a couple of new ones each year after all it takes us so long to make them they should be on display as long as possible I think. I'm staying indoors today too we have had quite a snowfall over night, have a cosy Sunday.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I really like the quilt on the back of the couch, very cute! Those socks look nice and warm. It will be great to have them ready to go for the next birthday, happy stitching!

The Cozy Quilter said...

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas at your place! I love the caravan stitchery! Lovely socks too. Enjoy your stitching and holiday preparations! Are you going away this Christmas?

Berkshire Tatter said...

We are cold and rainy but heading toward snow season. The only thing I have set up is our Advent wreath. Today I will slowly begin opening my boxes. I have never mad a Christmas quilt but do have Christmas runners and table toppers. Enjoy your summer weather.

CathieJ said...

It is raining here today to, but we are at the end of Autumn so it is a cold rain. Not nice at all. We managed to get all of our outdoor decor up yesterday. I have boxes and boxes of Christmas decor to put around our house. Too much really. I love the Kiwi who's roasting some marshmallows. The yarn for those socks is very pretty. I love the Christmas quilts also.

FlourishingPalms said...

No decorating here. Since neither friends nor family come to visit us, I just don't bother trying to dig out a few things. I know, I sound like a Scrooge. However, I DO remember and focus on the reason for Christmas - the birth of Jesus - and that's what makes it special to me. Your embroidery is really cute, and it's nice to know you have another stitching project, after Noah's Ark creatures. And those socks... well, all I can say is I admire your skill. Have a lovely, and hopefully sunny (eventually!), December.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love your Kiwi in his camper van, enjoying summer! Those look like comfy warm socks, too - I know they'll be appreciated whenever you gift them. It's been fun to see all the Christmas quilts and decorations coming out in people's blog posts - I've been doing the same thing!

Julierose said...

I love your Secret Santa quilt on the back of your sofa--such a pretty pattern...
We have just about finished with what we will take out this year...we have those two little tabletop pre-lit trees so i am not adding ornaments this year...seems to us that just the lights are pretty enough as they twinkle on and off through the color spectrum...
enjoy your decorating!!
Hugs, Julierose

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely new embroidery and socks. My Christmas stuff is all out. Took me 5 days but I am happy it is done. Now can move on to making Christmas goodies and projects.

Quilter Kathy said...

How fun to see some of your Christmas projects! The cheeky Kiwi embroidery is adorable!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Good morning, dear Jenny. Your new stitchery is adorable. I love anything camping related. You have some gorgeous Christmas quilts. Love the nine patch over the couch. Have fun decorating the halls. I have a few more areas to decorate and then I can sit back and enjoy the season. Hugs.

Tired Teacher said...

Cute Kiwi stitchery! I took my small tree out of storage last Sunday, and hung several Christmas projects I cross-stitched in the 90s. Yesterday, I addressed and wrote a few notes on Christmas cards that I’ll mail tomorrow. Today is windy and cold, so I’m snuggled under a quilt and listening to Christmas carols.

Jackie said...

Got the big downstairs Christmas tree finished today. Seems to be missing a few things, but it will do for this year.

I have started Christmas treat making and I hope to get into the swing and get more done each day.

Love the Christmas quilt.

God bless.

Raewyn said...

No Christmas decorating for me yet but I am thinking about it - hope that counts! Nice to see you making progress on your kiwi stitchery - I've pulled out one of mine today too.

Jo said...

Nice to have some home made Xmas decorations out. I’m not sure if I’ll be getting mine out…